Cherry barb (Puntius titteya)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1714

Cherry barb (Puntius titteya)

Information

Common Name: Cherry barb
Proper Name: Puntius titteya
Category: Cyprinids
Temperature: 23 - 27 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 5 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
[CENTER][FONT="Arial"] I find Cherry barbs to be incredibly hardy, and unlike their infamous cousins the Tiger barbs they are totally peaceful. They tend to school loosely, you won't see a big group of them in the same place but solos or pairs dotted around the tank. I rate them 10/10! [/FONT][/CENTER]

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
cherry barbs were my first fish and i loved them they are active mostly on the bottom and middle buy get along great with my blood fins and neons

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
good fish for one starting out in the hobby forgiving and easy to care for, combined with great color

Your Avatar
I've had my 5 cherry barbs for about 4 years now. I adore them. I will admit that my boys are the most vibrant red I've seen (even in pictures!). They are quite active in the tank, and always playful!

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
I think these a great fish for community tank but the male are happier with a harem of atleast 3 female per male. They have great color and are mostly peaceful but will stand their ground if bothered by other fish and may take a tail nip but are not aggressive.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I've had my trio for about 4 yrs. They have moved with me about 3 times. Their filter stopped working for a couple of weeks and I kept them alive with water changes. They currently live in an unheated very low tech planted 5 gal. My males are DEEP RED. I love thse fish ! They have nipped my Guppy IF I skipped feedings. I normally feed 2x daily and all is well.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
These are one of the best community fishes out there, especially for the beginner. While I keep mine in very stable condition, my experience in working at several LFS has shown me that they can tolerate a very wide range of water temps and parameters. This is an especially good fish to keep with shrimps that are a bit bigger (Amano and Bamboo, especially) than them, and unlike other barbs that I have kept (Tiger Barbs!) they do not nip shrimp antennae or the fins of other fish. These like to interact with other members of their own species, so the minimum I would add would be two; they seem to do better in a bigger tank where you can keep more, though. These fish, in my experience, are not shoaling, but they do hang out in smaller social groups and tend to be active throughout the whole tank during both day and night (well, light and dark anyway).

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I love these little guys! They are always so full of energy and playful, but they never bother any of the inhabitants. I previously had 6 males and they would frequently chase each other around and try to establish dominance. I recently purchased 6 females to go with the males and they've gotten much calmer with one another. Mind you the males never bothered any of the other fish.

Your Avatar
I'm a fan. They are active, nice looking little fish. Very hardy. Last time I had them, I started out with five, but a couple, died and the other two became restless. There was much fin nipping. One male killed the other surviving male... A guy at a local pet store said he didn't keep them anymore because the were aggressive, but I noticed that he didn't have many barbs of the same species in the tanks. I recently got some more, so now I have 9 (4 females, 5 males). Keep their numbers at five or more, and they'll be happy.

Images

Cherry barb
Cherry barb
Cherry barb
Cherry barb