Tiger barb (Puntius tetrazona)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 823
Total Comments: 1703

Tiger barb (Puntius tetrazona)

Information

Common Name: Tiger barb
Proper Name: Puntius tetrazona
Category: Cyprinids
Temperature: 20 - 26 C
Temperament Schooling
Maximum Size: 7 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I was told these fish were aggressive, and would eat my baby fish. I was amazed then a few days later when my mother blackmolly started attacking it. I thought nothing of it, thinking the molly was just being overprotective of its babies. The next day however the tiger was missing, and a few days fter that I found its carrion in the log. I think it depends on the character of the individual on whether it is boysterous or shy.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Great little schooling fish however very agressive fin-nippers, I find they are not suited to peaceful community tanks. When kept in very large schools, 15 or more, the agression is more spread out and they do well with larger fish species such as gouramis, dwarf cichlids, and some mbunas and south american cichlids. Even then there will still be some nipping. Tigers do best in a species tank. A well planted tank with 2 dozen or so tigers is a beautiful sight, without having to worry much about agression. In a species tank they are likely to breed. The mating rituals of the tiger barb are very interesting to watch, and caring for fry is always fun!

Fresh Fish Freak

Your Avatar
I actually have always had good experiences with Tiger Barbs in community tanks, but I've always kept schools of about 8 in my 46gal. I currently have 2 "senior citizens" left from my last school, and they are very docile- I've never seen them nip anyone but each other, and that not very often. They are greedy little pigs though, so I usually have to feed in several areas of the tank to make sure food gets past them to the other fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]I have just begun to think about what kind of larger tank I would like to have "someday". I have been reading a very informative book by Tullock in which he gives many, many types of tanks to create based upon a biotope concept. One of these biotopes is the "Barb Tank", in which he suggests keeping maybe just them with a small group of Botias for substrate cleanup detail. This idea had never occurred to me before, i.e. using just one species, and the more I thought about the tigers the more I thought well sure! It is a very flashy fish and just b/c it is common is no reason not to consider it. Plus it should be hardy. Is readily available. Schools, which I like and can take cooler temps. I wonder though if I could keep some Otocinclus with them? for the algae? Just learning, Breck in Spokane[/SIZE][/FONT]

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I got 2 tiger barbs and they like to nip on each other's fins but they leave my mollies alone. Great active fish. Usually they will nip other fishes fins. I guess I just got lucky.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I have 5 tiger barbs, they are very funny, they think there tough for how small they are. They are a schooling fish so buy atleast 3 or more of them. Males will have a red snout and a little bit of red on the dorsal fin, the females on the other hand with have no red on the snout and a black dorsal fin (when fully matured)

Your Avatar
I've owned a lot of tiger barbs from many different stores and they all seem to be pretty aggressive fin nippers. The larger sexually mature males tend to be the most aggressive and can be real terrors in the tank. My advice is to keep these fish in groups no smaller than 7 with at least three males of equal size and strength. Males will face off and fight one another which is really cool to watch and totally harmless to the fish. Feed them heavily and keep the tank temperature closer to 20 C if you want to cut back on aggression. Also provide lots of hiding places for fish to recover in.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've got 9 of these guys in a 20H tank with a male Golden Gourami, 4 kuhli loaches and a bunch of amano shrimp. They are so fun to watch chase eachother around. I was worried at first that they would nip the Gourami's fins but he actually chases them sometimes and I've never seen any fin damage. Overall great little active fish in my opinion!

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
These barbs do great in planted tanks, but beware if your plants become uprooted as the barbs like to snack on the roots.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have several tiger barbs in my tank and have never had any problems with them doing any fin nipping. I fist bought 6 and 2 died. The 4 remaining didnt bat an eye and when I bought them some company they seemed to parent the smaller barbs around the tank. I have albino and green tigers all the same tank and all of them swim peacefully around the tank with no one chasing anyhting in particular.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Allways come from seller stock with illness who lives with barbus 2-12month than death.Before death they comes fat and nippy against others if not in school of at least 7fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
If deside to purchase puntius tetrazona :You must purchase that fish at trusty person.

Your Avatar
I bought 100 tiger barbs for my 100 gallon. At 1st they were schooling but later they got a bit relaxed because they dominated the tank. :P truly over kill, but they do well with my; - dwarf gouramis - rosy barbs - golden tinfoil

Planted Member

Your Avatar
This is my favorite fish. I keep them in a company of characins and small cychlids. Do not keep any slow fish with dragging fins with tiger barbs. If you want to exclude problems, it is a good idea to populate your tank with other species first and then add young tiger barbs. Tiger barbs always investigate newcomers and may discover that they may be sluggish and make a fair game. Now, I keep a large school of Tiger Barbs only, up to 20 of them of different ages in a 30 g tank. They alone make a beautiful sight.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had a group 6 tiger barbs a while back, got them really small however they doubled in size quickly. They would school together (i had better luck with a group of 5 or more to avoid fin nipping on other fishes) and nip at each other but nothing serious. At the time i had them with black neons, and they did well with each other, but a little greedy when it came time to feeding. They weren't shy and would be swimming out in the open.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
shame their so aggressive as great looking

Your Avatar
Great active fish had 4 originally but nipped the fins of some other more larger fish.So got 4 more and 4 odesa barbs NO MORE FIN NIPPING.Have shoaled up nicely with my pencil fish and now leave all my other fish alone.Happy days! They do grow very quickly but are just so much fun to watch and keep mine swim up my syphon cleaner???

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I brought about 4 of these guys, but 3 of them eventually died, so I have one left. Some reason my dad added some feeder fish into my tank and now the tiger barb chases the largest of the feeder fish. i think the barb can see me outside the tank because whenever I am around i point my finger at him and say "no!" (like what you'd expect a mother to say to her kid that's about to eat candy off the floor) and the tiger barb immediately stops chasing the feeder fish and swims away lol

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Extremely active and colorful. Can be aggressive to each other and other similar shaped fish. Need school of 10 or more for best results. Chain store tiger barbs are notorious for severe genetic problems and disease, only buy from trusted source or direct from breeder.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i got 3 tiger barbs from baby's gave them timeout 2 times in another tank when they didnt leave my guppies alone never seen them nip the guppies again, only each other and their little challenge dance they do with each other

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I have 18 of these in my 40g tall planted tank and it ended up as just a species tank because they harrass anything else that I introduce in the tank. Love this little guys. they do forage a lot and occasionally uproot some of my dwarf hair grass. I also have not seen them chase each other probably due to having them in a large group.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
1 of my favourite fish...iv 6 in my 54 litre tank with 2 glow light tetras 2 neon tetras 4 flame tetras....iv had this community for the last 6 months and they never nip each other and are an unbelievable happy comunity...you should see the tetras feed with them........ BUT before i or rather they found the right balance in the tank they killed 4 neons and 2 cardinal tetras....these were added to the settled community and i guess they did not like the new neighbours....they are a great fish overall and would love to add them to my 260litre tank with my young denisonii barbs but i would fear they would be too boisterous for them at the moment......

Images

Tiger barb
Tiger barb
Tiger barb