Molly (Poecilia sp.)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 815
Total Comments: 1630

Molly (Poecilia sp.)

Information

Common Name: Molly
Proper Name: Poecilia sp.
Category: Live-bearers
Temperature: 22 - 28 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 12 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I bred black mollies excellently and they grew quick too. I recently bought a black swordtail molly and it now eats the plec tabs I put in for the bottom feeders. Their colours are too different, sailfin mollies seem to have a more diverse colour range than balloon mollies though dalmation mollies have beautiful babies.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I have 5 Dalmation mollies, and they breed easily (mine dropped some fry a soon as I introduced them). They have a crazy appetite, constantly nibbling at any algae, and eat up all the flaked food I can throw at them. This appetite means they produce a lot of waste though. Mine have also taken a liking to catfish pellets, yet will not eat cucumber or lettuce, which many say their mollies will eat. Mollies are a very hardy fish, and they are great for hard water and slightly alkaline water (my water is pH 7.5).

Your Avatar
I have a tank with just mollies and constantly trying to find new homes for the fry. I have recently purchased a new canister filter (attached to a spray bar) though have noticed increased water current. Do mollies do well in slighly turbulent waters or do they prefer still water?

Your Avatar
I diagree with the tank sizE its not 20 gallon for smaller ones. I currently have a 13 gallon with three mollies and about 6 fry. I will be getting some corydoas very soon.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Beautiful fish, but they breed like crazy. If you don't want fry keep the males away from the females. Even then the females might still drop a litter or two. Hardy fish. They do well in brackish or fresh water. Did I mention they breed alot? A beginner fish IMO.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I have one silver Sailfin Molly. He was rescued from a failed tank (long story). Anyways, I imagine they do better in groups, but I do not have the room to spare- I'm already pushing my bioload. He's very active- doesn't pester the Cory's or the Tetra's. Messy eater. God he eats a lot. Eats and poops- all day. Recently added some live plants and some cichild stones to my tank and he seems to hide out more. Anyways- beautiful fish- one of the most beautiful in the hobby- just make sure you have plenty of room.

Abs

Your Avatar
i have black,marble, and dalmatian mollies. they do well together with a small group about four members. they live well with platies and swordtails. great for planted tanks to remove algae!

Planted Member

Your Avatar
My dalmatian does a superb job of keeping my stem plants tidy. nip. nip. nip. ... poop. :3

Abs

Your Avatar
my black mollies is all flirt the female is already pregnant and they still keep on doing the "s" thing and even my male molly is very naughty that it mates dalmatian mollies too! Now i have three pregnant and one has already given fry

Your Avatar
Hello everone i am matt im new to this site i just needed some help i have a pair of i think leopard salfin mollys there orange and black i just wanted to no how can i tell if female is going to have babys as i cant seen the gravid spot because of her colours but shes very big round belly and male female follow each other all time i all so have sum lyretail mollys witch are black could some one tell me what to look out for if there pregnant many thanks matt

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I put 2 dalmation mollies in my 30 gallon tank, along with a few guppies and some cory catfish. The substrate in that tank happened to be dark blue gravel. One day, I looked at my tank and it looked like the gravel was moving! Upon looking closer, I discovered that I had molly babies - and lots of them at that! When it came time to give them away, I counted 75 before I lost count - and that's from one batch of fry! These are great fish, can live to be 2 or 3 years old, and are pretty hardy.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Mollies are incredibly hardy. I have one in my reef (SG 1.025) and he snacks on hair algae like nothing else does!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've found these fish to be VERY pushy, almost aggressive. Luckily they aren't predatory at all. Just charging and flaring, no harm done not even to shrimps(though watching my male display to try and scare a tiny red shrimp was hilarious). If given the opportunity they will breed multiple times a day till they die, lol. Great fish, especially the sail fin variant. In a tall tank will dwell near the surface venturing down to forage for bits of algae and rotten plant matter.

Your Avatar
I got 2 female dalmation mollies. I was told at petsmart that they would spend most of their time in the middle of my tank but they are always on the bottom...is that normal? I have 5 guppies and 2 corry cats in my 30 gal half moon aquarium with them and run a fluval c3 filter and a bubble wall...could the bubbler be bothering them? just want to make sure theyre healthy

Your Avatar
Just bought a breeding pair of Dalmatian Mollies and within the first 24 hours she dropped fry. Unfortunately by the time I noticed this had taken place I was only able to find 1 fry remaining in my tank. I do believe my Bala Sharks took care of them. :-(

Images

Molly
Molly
Molly
Molly
Molly
Molly
Molly
Molly
Molly
Molly