Bloodfin Tetra (Aphyocharax anisitsi)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 818
Total Comments: 1691

Bloodfin Tetra (Aphyocharax anisitsi)

Information

Common Name: Bloodfin Tetra
Proper Name: Aphyocharax anisitsi
Category: Characins
Temperature: 18 - 28 C
Temperament Schooling
Maximum Size: 5.5 cm

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
A beautiful fish that I recently came across dyed to look like a cardinal tetra, a great shame for such a pretty fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
In my experience, these fish are quite hardy, can stand up to higher pH's, but don't seem to like intense light (Mine being just 65W of 6700K/10000K Compact Fluorescent).

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
can be a nippy fish if not in a good size school so watch your long finned fish companions

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
These little fish are awesome, i have two schools one medium one very large and they are extremely active, they are very aggressive feeders and will out compete almost any other fish in their tank when in a big enough school, keeping with a large semi aggressive fish is a good idea along with a school of bottom dwellers, mine typically don't like brighter lights and hide under the canopies of my plants when i thin out floaters, they are very exciting and hardy fish and breed readily in near perfect water conditions and with top quality food, mine eat ocean nutrition marine foods and breed quick, they are also housed in softer water than my other tanks. overall great fish and i would recommend them for any beginner looking for a very active fish. give them time to get used to your tank and don't change it on them they are skittish at first =] i might add the better the water the better the color of fins

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
The tightest schooling tetra, period. You don't need a heater with these guys, they can take temperatures in the low 60s/high 50s easily. Bloodfins aren't quite as colorful as neons or cardinals, but they make up for it with their awesome schooling behavior and ease of care.

Your Avatar
i started out with a small school in a well established tank but for some reason all but 1 died rather soon (might of been something with the pet store since there was a healthy survivor) now he schools with my new tiger barbs and seems much happier now.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My very first tropical fish and still my favorite. Need a big school of them to really appreciate. The more there are, the brighter the red fins I've found as well.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
nice fish quite high schoolers get in groups of 6 colours should get redder when they settle

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I got three of these yesterday two males and a female. The female has a fat belly. They are aggressive when feeding time comes.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
these are hardy guys, and good shoalers, but be careful, they can be jumpy.

Images

Bloodfin Tetra