African Dwarf Frog (Hymenochirus boettgeri)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 828
Total Comments: 1749

African Dwarf Frog (Hymenochirus boettgeri)

Information

Common Name: African Dwarf Frog
Proper Name: Hymenochirus boettgeri
Category: Others
Temperature: 21 - 26 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 3.5 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
This was a great pet to keep. Once as I was cleaning it out, the frog jumped out of my hand and on to the floor. It jumped around which I didn't think it was able to do out of water. It also used to float and bloat as I called it, making itself bloated and just float in the water, many a time I thought it was dead and got the net ready, but it just hid away again. Ate bloodworm too. Great to keep but the albino frogs do grow quite big and can be abit of a handful.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
The easiest way to tell if you actually have a dwarf frog is that it will have claws on its front legs. The large, African clawed frog doesn't have claws on its front legs.

Your Avatar
I don't know why but for some reason I can't keep these things alive for more than a few days. Any ideas why? They were in there own 2 gallon alone (I had 2) and died within a few days so i bought 2 more and put them in my 29 but they also died. My water is perfect and they got food to them in the form of sinking pellets so I don't have a clue.

Your Avatar
Newbie - they might have died from turning up their noses at the sinking pellets you fed them. Some individuals of this species will take dry food, but most will only take live food, especially black worms. Their bigger cousins in the Xenopus genus are less finicky (and less gentle!).

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've had 2 frogs for the past 3 years in my planted 55 gallon aquarium. I hand feed them frozen bloodworms and shrimp from a turkey baster. They would starve if they had to find pellets or flake food.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Ive had one of these little guys for a couple months now. cool addition to any tank! he usually just eats up any blood worms or blk worms that make it down to him. Seems happy as could be with that!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Bloodworms are great, but my 3 frogs seem fine with flake and dried worms. We feed live worms to 2 of our tanks, but for some reason our frogs seem fine with the flake. Now granted, we feed 3 types of flake and algae wafers, and maybe some frozen worms here and there in the 38 gal., our frogs are fat and happy.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have a male-female pair of these little guys and they're just delightful! They've been with me for a little over two months now. The male sings his heart out every night. :) They just gave me a bunch of eggs two days ago that I'm trying to keep alive. Mine learned to eat HBH frog + Tadpole bites some number of weeks go, and they now get those along with their frozen bloodworms to help their diet. You just have to make sure you split up the soft pellets so that they're small enough for the frogs to swallow.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Great little addition to any tank. Just watch out for the Chytrid Fungus. Here is a really good ADF site: http://aquafrog.webs.com

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I've had these before and they died pretty quickly. Turns out if you add salt to their water, it will kill them. I like putting salt in my fish water for illness prevention, so I don't buy them anymore.

Your Avatar
I had 1 female and 3 males in my 10g. They got along great with the platys, betta, ghost shrimp, and a cory. They liked to eat my platy's babies but didn't cause trouble otherwise. I fed mine betta pellets and shrimp pellets made for bottom feeders. They would also eat any large flakes they found. I raise fruit flies for my fire belly toads so I also put fly larvae in the tank for the fish and dwarf frogs. They now live in a vivarium and have decided to start a family. Their calls are strange but beautiful.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
lovely, great for aquascape! i have 2 in my tank, they are funny to watch, they can ask for food by going up when i come to the tank. to bad they have very bad eye sight, i have to feed them with my pinset. sometime they fight each other, one of them bite another's hand then the bitten one trying hard to pull his hand out :)) recommended pet.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Interesting, these guys don't get too big and are not functional predators(my ghost shrimp are not afraid of them) They are a low impact friendly addition to any planted tank. If you seed your substrate with black worms they will hung and forage for the worms its quite entertaining. These are a real great addition to any planted tank, just don't put with aggressive or nippy fish because the frog will loose that fight.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I don't know the clawed comment is correct. The easiest way to tell the difference is these guys have webbed front feet, where the clawed frogs (which get bigger and can eat some smaller fish and potentially the dwarf frogs) do not. Also, if its albino, it is likely to be a clawed frog.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
Both dwarf frogs and regular clawed frogs (Xenopus) come in albino forms.

Your Avatar
Even though there is apparently an albino version of both the African Dwarfs and the African Clawed Frogs most albino African Dwarf frogs sold in pet stores that I have come across are really juvenile African Clawed Frogs, and will become a problem for their unsuspecting owners as they get older.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have albino ADF's and all you need to check for is the webbing on their front feet - only ADF's have this. If you don't see webbing or you see claws, it's not an ADF.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I've had ADF's not for about 7 months and they're a staple to my tank. I also disagree with the comment on claws, the African Clawed frog has claws on all four feet, the african dwarf has them only on the rear feet. They have a lot of personality, I have a male and a female and while during the day they like hiding , at night they're all over the place. They're just awful at hunting frozen food, and i actively serve them their meals(meaning i chase off the Betta fish till they've eaten something) Great pet, absolutely peaceful, blind as a bat. I'm realizing they prefer still over flowing water as well, if anyone cares.

Images

African Dwarf Frog
African Dwarf Frog