syndontis eupterus (syndontis eupterus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1727

syndontis eupterus (syndontis eupterus)

Information

Common Name: syndontis eupterus
Proper Name: syndontis eupterus
Category: Catfish
Temperature: 24 - 28 C
Temperament Territorial
Maximum Size: 20 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Isn't the Common Name for this guy "Upside Down Catfish" ?

Your Avatar
I love the syndontis .....they are very active but always hiding ...they eat almost anything i put in the tank. I have two right now and one has outgrown the other when I bought them at the same size...the bigger one is very territoral and semi-agressive.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
The common name for this catfish is "Featherfin Catfish." It is much larger than the actual upside down catfish... But it is a beautiful species.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
i have 3 of these guys in a 55 and they are so beautiful and very active. love to hide when scared but when i sit in front of the tank they come out looking for food. feed them a good amount of meat and they will grow quick and show that beautiful sails

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i love my featherfin! i always see it in action..swimming upside down :) .. and it keeps my tank clean from excess food.

bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I purchased one of these guys about 6 months ago. He was TINY, only about 1" from nose to tail. Their coloration changes pretty drastically when they mature. He hid for a few months, and I barely ever caught sight of him, but then one day he just started coming out more. Now he has grown to about 6" and looks amazing. He is getting much braver, and will come out when the lights are on. If you feed them well, they can get quite beefy looking, and their dorsal fin looks amazing. Mine has a dorsal fin that is nearly as tall as he is long. Definitely my favorite fish in the tank, though I fear that when he reaches full size (around 8" or 9" I've seen before) I may lose all of my zebra danios.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had one for 4 years before loosing him to disease. These are a great catfish but need a large tank and regulated diet to flourish. As with most catfish they don't hesitate to over eat but mine would not behave well after gorging and would look visibly off in color. When he was on a leaner diet he would look splendid. They are generally not too aggressive though they will be predatory towards smaller fish. Mine fared well with other fish in his "territory" and did great with aggressive fish. As with every other synos they can out swim the meanest cichlid, dancing circles around them acting totally unaffected by the aggression. Their pattern changes over their lifetime from giraffe looking pattern to a spotted pattern. Their dorsal fin really becomes something of a spectacle at the adult size. I swear mine was taller than it was long.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
On the contary to what you may read these fish love the company of their own species. If you have the space get a group of 3 but beware as they get close to a foot long and very deep bodied with a huge tall dorsal fin that makes them look even bigger. I only ever see them when food is in the tank and I will never see just one they always come out of the shadows as a group all 6 of them following each other around. All websites seem to state agressive/territorial/should be kept alone but I have found the opposite, they are extremely gregarious always huddled together even though they have 5ft of tank to spread out in. However I would make sure there is a seperate cave for each fish just incase one needs its own space! Another note: Very fast growers 1inch to 6inch in a couple of months, unreal! Warning: these are sometimes mislabled as upsidedown catfish and look very similar at a small size (upsidedown catfish = mottled brown, featherfin catfish = Black and light coloured marbled colouring (they get grey and spotty as they get bigger!) Absolutely beautiful finnage!

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I've got one of these. Fun to watch during feeding time. Mine has set up his territory in one of the caves and swims upside down on the roof all day unless coming out to feed. Apparently it's common for them to do that. Fairly peaceful. The only time I've seen them chase or make a move at another fish was when I introduced this one and 2 sun catfish at the same time. Basically chased them both out of the cave. This happened about 10 times and finally the suns got the idea and haven't had an issue since.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I've got one of these. Fun to watch during feeding time. Mine has set up his territory in one of the caves and swims upside down on the roof all day unless coming out to feed. Apparently it's common for them to do that. Fairly peaceful. The only time I've seen them chase or make a move at another fish was when I introduced this one and 2 sun catfish at the same time. Basically chased them both out of the cave. This happened about 10 times and finally the suns got the idea and haven't had an issue since.

Planted Member

Your Avatar

Planted Member

Your Avatar

Images

syndontis eupterus
syndontis eupterus