Golden Dojo Loach, Weather Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 818
Total Comments: 1681

Golden Dojo Loach, Weather Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus)

Information

Common Name: Golden Dojo Loach, Weather Loach
Proper Name: Misgurnus anguillicaudatus
Category: Loaches
Temperature: 15 - 29 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 30.5 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Large dojos uproot everything in their way.

Gar
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
Big plants, such as large swords and the like, are required to keep this fish in a planted tank. They will uproot many smaller plants and bulbs, but generally leave large stem/rozette/rhyzome plants alone. I keep 4 and they love lounging on my swords and ludwigia repens.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
We've really taken a liking to these fish and keep groups of 5 in each of our 75g tanks. They compete with the clown loaches for algae wafers and shrimp pellets. They also swim up and troll the top of the tank for flake food as well. Unlike kuli's these guys are active all day and seem to play with each other. Baby tears and mirco swords were a problem when first planted but once established that was it. Our larger golds are 6"+ at just over a year in the tank so they do get big. They don't dig a great deal if at all. Our substrates are Flourite and Eco Complete. Theres no telling when you look at the tank where they will be (including laying draped across the top of your drop checker) With them in a group I want to repeat we haven't had a digging problem.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Very strange personality, clumsy and nocks my plants around. bumps into the glass and other fish constantly. Tries to sneak algae wafers from my pleco. I think my Dojo has bad eye sight

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
One of my coolest fish, it gets a lot of comments from visitors ("Is that an eel?" "Cool fish!"). I only keep one of them because of the plant uprooting they can cause (I have a 55g with some space for the loach), and it's of the gray-black camo variety. It has a strange crook in its back, and after some research, I found that its common for them to have some spinal cord issues (so don't worry too much). I really hope it isn't painful, but the loach seems happy and even floats to the top to compete for flakes. Feed it plenty of wafers and don't get snails or small inverts that it eats.

Vic
Planted Member

Your Avatar
A peaceful fish with a good personality. Does better in colder water as well as larger numbers. Plants will be uprooted due to constant burrowing. Overall one of my favorite aquarium fish.

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
I have one of these in a small (6 gallon) tank, and he is a lot of fun to watch. Right now he is about 3" long, so I will need to move him to my larger community tank in the very near future. I got this guy to get rid of snails in a tank that had Bamboo Shrimps in it that I could not treat with chemicals. He did a great job with clearing up the snails, and he is very friendly with the other fishes; he also has not bothered my planted bamboos. He is extremely active which makes the small tank seem really busy; he provides a nice counterpoint to my sedentary shrimps. One concern is that these fish can grow really big; I was aware of this when I added him to the smaller tank, and the plan was always to move him to his permanent home once my snail problem was taken care of. So far as I can tell, other than the size that these can reach this fish makes an interesting addition to a community tank. My Dojo Loach eats snails like crazy, and I am considering renting him out to other hobbyists who have snail issues that do not want to treat for them with chems.

Raider for life

Your Avatar
Very cool fish. My favorite of all my fish. He (she) relaxes in the strangest, most awkward positions of any critter i've every seen. Most entertaining.

Your Avatar
Used to have one. really fun fish. had the usual problems of uprooting smaller plants but loved to lay around on plants.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Yea dojo's are cool plus mine like to mess around with my fire eel lol

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My dojos don't bother big plants but are hard on delicate ones. They're labyrnth breathers so when (not if!) they jump out should survive til you can find them! Curious, friendly, very entertaining. Definitely social fish, they do much better in groups.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Nobosy mentioned that these guys are extraordinary at kicking detritus into the water column to be picked up by the filter. i have 2 about 4 inches wide and there are only large pieces of detritus on the bottom. B4 i got them there was much detritus rotting away on the sand bed

Your Avatar
My loaches are so fun to watch . They always try to curl up in my plants and they some of them like to bury them self. They are definitely my favorite fish. I've never had them uproot my plants. (maybe because I have sand?) They spit the sand out when they dig its so funny. They also love blood worms its their favorite treat!(:

Images

Golden Dojo Loach, Weather Loach
Golden Dojo Loach, Weather Loach