Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 826
Total Comments: 1731

Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus)

Information

Common Name: Jewel Cichlid
Proper Name: Hemichromis bimaculatus
Category: Cichlids
Temperature: 22 - 28 C
Temperament Aggresive
Maximum Size: 15 cm

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Beautiful fish, but a bit of a mean side to them

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have a really nice Jewel in my 30gl tank, he usually is rather cool with moet the populace, but today was the first time I have actually seen his dark side. Just brought home a Turquose Cichlid, and from the very start it has been a rather touch and go deal. For now the new fish is under a rock hanging out, just need to discipline the others to leave it alone......lol......tamming fish...what a rodeo for the evening. Maximo

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
if we were talking about dogs we this would be a bull dawg. incredible power for the size. i kept some and one morning i found the fin of a 7 in bala shark, that was all. my three 1.5" jewels ate him...

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had two of them and they were really coloful and had a ton of personality - including nipping me when I put my hand in the tank to clean. They did nto draw blood but definitely bit. It was pretty funny after a while but really scary at first (given i was not expecting my 1.5" fish to actually bite me)!!! They grew especially quickly as well. Anthony

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i bought a pair of them trying to breed them. never have i seen a fish fight so much. they are worse then my mated pair of oscars. the male beat on the female and anything else that moved. he took fins off my plecos too. i ended up giving them away for the sake of my other fish. pretty but dangerous fish.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Managed to get them to breed once but the male killed the female after she lost the brood of wrigglers (this is apperently common), he also killed one other male and two other females before mating. a very agressive fish when mating will attack fish much larger with no fear.

Your Avatar
i have one with a kribensis, and they get along, although she chases the krib somtimes. thats the only sighn of aggesiveness that it has show even towards a clown loach and the kribensis is half its size

Your Avatar
i have one with a kribensis, and they get along, although she chases the krib somtimes. thats the only sighn of aggesiveness that it has show even towards a clown loach and the kribensis is half its size

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
I have had my two jewel cichlids ( male and female) for years and never have i seen them being violent, well except for the male picking on the female but other than that they are rather peaceful.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I brought home two very young jewels about 2 weeks ago. I have a lot of other community fish as well, like tetras and corycats and Danios plus 2 bamboo or amano shrimp (Can't tell). Anyway, most the fish and the shrimp are bigger than the jewels and I have not seen any aggressiveness at all. One of them had a stare down with the shrimp, but that's all. I hope as the jewels grow up with the other fish they will remain gentle and not pick on them. I don't plan on adding anymore fish.