Golden Wonder Killifish (Aplocheilus Lineatus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 820
Total Comments: 1694

Golden Wonder Killifish (Aplocheilus Lineatus)

Information

Common Name: Golden Wonder Killifish
Proper Name: Aplocheilus Lineatus
Category: Killifish
Temperature: 21 - 27 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 10 cm

Deactivated

Your Avatar
A very durable killifish to own and tolerant of a wide range of temperatures. They are quite predatory and are likely to eat dwarf shrimp, small tetras etc. I have bred these in 2 foot deep outdoor tubs in the summers in Minnesota and they survived temps down to the 40s and up to 100. They are attractive when viewed from above as well as from side. Mine will eat virtually any flake, pellet or live food as long as it does not sink too fast. They bred easily on java fern on the bottom of the tank. They will eat their eggs and fry if they can find them. A full layer of floating plants such as duckweed or frogbit will help prevent them from jumping.

Your Avatar
I've kept 3, raised them to about 4-5 inches. Loves bugs, crickets, any type of bug you find outside except for lightning bugs. they will eat your neons and small fish when they get big enough. have a glass top, or they will be on the floor

Your Avatar
These fish are great for the top of the tank....they are very fun and always curious ..i love feedin them small insects and regular flakes but they can quite agressive towards each other. Unfortunately all mine committed suicide since I don't have a top lid for my tank.

Your Avatar
Awesome fish...but do use caution it opens it's mouth MUCH wider than you might expect...

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
the females can be kind of bland in color but are still cool fish, the males are stunning when in good condition. The big female i used to have LOVED to be fed crickets.Will eat small fish if they can fit in there mouth. (neon tetras and other similar sized fish)

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I got two of these from a local LFS. I got them when they were small now they are about 3". They are very beautiful and very active fish. They like to jump all the time. As other person mentioned they open there mouth larger then you would expect and thus started picking off some of my smaller tetras even though it didn't seem possible for them to eat them. I moved them to my outside tank where they seem to be thriving. They love to eat small ghost shrimp and feeder guppies. Since i started feeding them the shrimp there colors have brightened up a ton.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My Killi is the thrid one down. I had him for about 2-3 years. Fed him blood worms, brine shrimp, ghost shrimp, guppies, flakes, and ocassionally a bug haha. I never not have a golden killi in my tanks. Theyre such an eye cathching fish. Currently i have a blue killi (male) and a golden (female) in the hopes that they'll spawn and make a hybrid. I dunno if anybody has tried it before. These fish are very active. The bigger the tank the better.

Your Avatar
It's no joke about having a cover over a tank with these guys. Had the unfortunate experience of waking up to killifish chips on the floor in the morning. :(

Your Avatar
can these be converted to brackish water by chance?

Your Avatar
Males are very nice and I had one get to almost 4" TL. I wouldn't keep them with small fish since they have wide mouths and will eat them. Females can look nice too under the right lighting. GW look great in planted tanks.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Cool fish, nice small predators for those without the space for larger fish. They love to hang out under floating plants with large root systems like water hyacinth, frogbit, etc. While the golden wonder form is the dominant form in the trade at the moment, the wild morphs are also very beautiful and are worth a try if you can get a hold of them.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
im gettingsome sparling gouramis and have one golden wonder about 2 in and was wondering if they'll get along.

Your Avatar
They should get along Savannah I have two killi fish and 5 gouramis. Not problems in my tank

Your Avatar
I bought two of these about a year and a half ago. One male and one female. Wasn't too sure what I had bought. The female died at one point, not sure if it was my fault. She was rather big tho, just about 4 inches. Did not know what these fish were called until today. As soon as I found out their name from a local pet store I jumped on the internet to look up everything about them. The male is still alive and doing well. He's huge at this point. He always floats near the top, sometimes going down to the bottom of the tank to hide under this one thing I have in there. Been feeding him pellets, very excited to read that these guys eat crickets and such. Will try this out as soon as I can.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I had one of the 'wild morphs' mentioned earlier. It had 7 or 8 vertical black stripes toward the rear, and was more golden and green than the others at the stores. Such a great fish! Whenever I flipped the room lights on he was right there swimming at the glass. Ate anything, with vigor. Never really hunted my neon tetras, but will go after anything that falls into the tank (bugs, spiders), or swims up for food suddenly (like 1 of my tetras). Lost the poor guy to camalanus worms...if not eating with vigor, something is wrong!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Just seconds after introducing a 1.7in female to my pico she devoured 2 of my neon tetras and i literally had to drop the container I just poured her out of after acclimation and scoop her up in a net. Grrrr

Your Avatar
i keep one in my tank with four guppies and a kory catfish. my killifish is pretty calm even though he may take a chunk of fin of the catfish and guppys. he is kind of disrupting my guppy breeding program by eating the baby fish and whenever I give it a cricket he turns bright yellow and his black line shows up on his sides. caution he will jump out if there is not a tank lid plus he eats baby guppys

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
One of the coolest fish I've kept. Mine loves to be hand-fed crickets. He's in a 60 gallon tank with gouramis, swordtails and SAEs and he gets along just fine.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Nice fish and easy to care for. These guys will eat anything that fits in its mouth and jump out of the tank if you give it an opening.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
what is the minimum tank size for these fish?

Images

Golden Wonder Killifish
Golden Wonder Killifish
Golden Wonder Killifish