Glowlight tetra (Hemigrammus Erthrozonus )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 824
Total Comments: 1709

Glowlight tetra (Hemigrammus Erthrozonus )

Information

Common Name: Glowlight tetra
Proper Name: Hemigrammus Erthrozonus
Category: Characins
Temperature: 24 - 28 C
Temperament Active
Maximum Size: 4 cm

Your Avatar
Very colorful small fish. They love to hang out around the bottom in schools most of the time.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Small and a bit shy, but very beautiful, and easy to take care of fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
i have 12 of these colorful guys. the pictures dont do them justice. they are slow moving and can get boring. they breed in my tank after warm water changes. females are noticeably wider than males.

Your Avatar
Another fish very similair to these is the Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae). They look almost exactly alike, to the point where I wonder if they aren't the same but for the scientific names being different. I believe Embers are more red and don't have the same "glow". Thought I'd mention them, for those that want something similair but smaller (Embers only get 2 cm).

Fresh Fish Freak

Your Avatar
An old "staple" in the hobby, a beautiful, peaceful schooling fish. Care is similar to most tetras; keep a school and they prefer soft water and places to hide. Fairly easy to breed given the right water conditions.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
My brother's friend gave me 2 of these, they're 3 years old, lived longer than 8 Neons and Gold tetras.

Planted Tank Obsessed

Your Avatar
as they get old they become more colorfull .the best companion for neons

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Some of the best Tetras I've owned (I've had Neon and Black Tetras). Very hardy and a little on the shy side. I have 7, currently. They will do some laps around the tank as a school, but mostly settle and shoal near the bottom. Absolutely beautiful with dark backgrounds and substrates.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The Glowlight in this pic looks washed out and kind of stressed! (Poor little thing.) I have eight of them, three of which have been with me for four years. They are the very best fish for beginners (imo). Be sure to keep as many of them as you possibly can. The bigger the school, the happier they are.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
very hardy fish and tolerates many water conditions

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I just added 10 of these guys to a 20L today. Beautiful fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have used these little guys numerous times for fish-in cycling. Very hardy but can be a bit boring at times. However, they do look excellent when schooling into a current from a powerhead.

Images

Glowlight tetra
Glowlight tetra