Zebra Loach (Botia Striata)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 827
Total Comments: 1739

Zebra Loach (Botia Striata)

Information

Common Name: Zebra Loach
Proper Name: Botia Striata
Category: Loaches
Temperature: 23 - 27 C
Temperament Peaceful
Maximum Size: 6 cm

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"][B] These are very pretty little Fish. Mine enjoy sitting in my cabomba (see photo). They like to have hiding places such as plants or bogwood. They are bottom dwellers and will eat most food that reach the bottom, they will also take care of snail problems and will include them in its' diet, they also love worms. Zebras do well in a community tank and will enjoy the company of its' own (3/4 or more). It is very difficult to tell male from female, also breeding in an aquarium is very rare. Like all loach they have no scales and are therefore at higher risk to ICH and Whitespot. [/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Wannabe Guru

Your Avatar
One of my favorite Loaches, and more suitable for the average tank than the more common Clown loach (since Clowns can grow to be a foot long or more). I recommend a nice group of 5 or more, preferable heavy on the 'more'. They also seem to be more plant friendly than other Loaches.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Very cool fish! I switched over to this species of loach from the angelicus loaches because they don't get nearly as big, and don't chew the tails off my neons :) They fit in great with smaller community fish.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have two (and want more!) of these who often run around with an Angelicus or Polka-dot (B. Kubotai) loach. I think these are the most friendly and attractive of all the loaches and highly recommend these to any interested in loaches. Possibly the least aggressive of all loaches (other than sidthmunki) and easiest to care for.

Your Avatar
I was wondering if these guys would eat my shrimp. Any thoughts?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Cherry shrimp? Should be no problem in a heavily planted tank. I have 3 Zebras in what has essentially become a Cherry shrimp breeding tank. Come to think of it there are 2 Clowns in there as well! The shrimp keep coming. But it is very heavily planted.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
The biggest of my three planted tanks became infested with pond snails (mostly because the idea of smashing them made me cringe). So, I frantically looked for a "natural" solution to my problem. After tons of research, I bought three zebra loaches. They are voracious eaters of pond snails! My loaches hide in their driftwood cave quite a bit and seem strangely aware of any activity that is happening outside the tank. I love these little guys.

So good my algae pearls!

Your Avatar
I had an outbreak of snails in my 55 and it seemed like every morning I would wake up to about 20 new snails on the glass. I kept throwing them out and they kept coming...until I bought just one of these guys. After three days I have only seen one snail! This fish is gorgeous and super effective! Talk about worthwhile.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have one zebra and he is a very cool fish but i hardly see him he mainly hides and only comes out after the feeding madness for sloppy seconds.

Your Avatar
I have one in my 30 gallon and he is awesome! They are peaceful and he is best friends with my cory.

Your Avatar
zebra loaches do best with buddies, so if you want yours to come out more often, then get 4 in a tank

Your Avatar
Will these guys eat bigger snails as well? I have one ramshorn and a gazillion pond snails, and would hate to lose the ramshorn...

Images

Zebra Loach
Zebra Loach
Zebra Loach