Clown Pleco (Panaque maccus)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum

Navigation

Fish Profiles Stats

Total Profiles: 237
Total Images: 828
Total Comments: 1748

Clown Pleco (Panaque maccus)

Information

Common Name: Clown Pleco
Proper Name: Panaque maccus
Category: Catfish
Temperature: 23 - 28 C
Temperament Reclusive
Maximum Size: 10 cm

Planted Member

Your Avatar
I love my clown pleco, had him for a week and he is doing very good. All he does is hang out on the driftwood. As said above, driftwood is a must!!!

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have had my clown pleco for at least 8 years now. He is still terrified of me and runs anytime I come near the tank. He loves his driftwood. I have actually had to pull him off it a few times when I've needed to remove it.

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
Don't expect these guys to clean algea they will keep wood clean that's about it. Really pretty plecos when they let you see them. Mine plays nice with other plecos. Females get really fat looking making them kind of easy to sex. A very hardy fish.

Planted Tank Guru

Your Avatar
Beautiful pleco! I love mine. Driftwood as said previously is a must, preferrably multiple kinds. However mine likes to come out and play and be rubbed on the "nose" plays fair with female brushynose plecos of the ancistrus family

Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your Avatar
I've had clown plecos for several years now. They are mainly wood eaters but will also clean your glass algae. I had a 30 gallon covered in algae. I put a clown pleco in one day and the algae was completely gone the next morning. I only see them on the glass when the lights are off so dont expect to ever see them in the day! Still very cool plecos stay stay tiny.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have a hole in the front of my driftwood, and that's where during the day you can find my Pleco. He tucks right up in there. At night, he's out cleaning. You can always tell what side of the driftwood fork he was hanging on the night before. A great addition to the tank!

Your Avatar
Love my Clown Pleco. Though a bit skittish with people, he gets along well with my bloodfin tetras.

Planted Member

Your Avatar
Got two of these little plecos about a week ago and they are doing very good. They really do not come away from their driftwood, that is their "safety safe". The only time i have seen either of them out of the driftwood is when i move the driftwood..... So obviously driftwood a must, but these are a nice smaller pleco that is a nice addition to most tanks. ***on a side note*** i put these guys in 2 weeks ago and really do not see them, they really like keeping in the tangles of driftwood. you see their pleco waste tho...

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
Clown plecos can be territorial with other clown plecos. I had success keeping 2, but they separated and each claimed their own piece of driftwood. They are shy but will aggressively defend their driftwood home against other clowns.

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
do clown plecos eat plants?

Algae Grower

Your Avatar
I have a clown pleco that I got a couple of years ago. I call him Dyson (name of a vacuum company) because he sucks up all of the algae that grows on my plants, glass etc

Images

Clown Pleco
Clown Pleco