The Planted Tank Forum - Conversation Between Hoppy and spidangular
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Hoppy

Conversation Between Hoppy and spidangular
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. spidangular
    03-13-2013 02:08 PM
    spidangular
    I had an idea for a fish parody, but I'm not skilled enough do it right, so
    I invite you to take over. We do things to encourage fish to spawn and reproduce, as if we really know what turns them on. Make a guide that a superior species would come up with if they were trying to get their pet humans to mate and raise their young in captivity.... 'Provide many suitable males, who will complete.. removing all but the one that was selected. .. mating usually occurs at night. .. allow the parents to raise their young. ..' there are a lot of little details that could be added ad far as setting the mood, feeding before lights out,etc. Please message me if you ever take this on. Thanks
  2. spidangular
    12-16-2012 01:19 AM
    spidangular
    I found what looks to be a cheap DIY way to light my 20 gallon longs with what I hope to be medium to high light. It involves placing XYZ bulbs in the top of a metal duct shaped into a semicircle. see link below. I can't find any specific info on the reflectivity of that shape or how to determine how far from the apex of the circle to place the bulb for optimum light dispersion. Thinking about it, it seems like a parabolic shape would be better, as well as a reflective triangular shape running the length of the duct the width of the bulb to prevent strikeback. I know there are a more factors than you probably care to address individually, but if you know of an application or website to point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. Or you could build the reflector yourself, test it with your par meter and give me the specs. juuust kiddingg... kinda. :-) any feedback is appreciated. thank you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy5fzPlsXK0