The Planted Tank Forum - Conversation Between Hoppy and hitmanx
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Hoppy

Conversation Between Hoppy and hitmanx
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 8 of 8
  1. hitmanx
    03-31-2014 12:59 AM
    hitmanx
    So are you still selling your meters? What's the cost? And do you ship to canada? Are there similar alternative? Lux meters maybe?
  2. hitmanx
    03-29-2014 04:17 PM
    hitmanx
    Both the 8.5in and 10.5in domes completely surround the Philips 23w 6500k cfl I am using so all available light is being reflected down. Are your par meters water proof? Could place them directly into my existing tank? I guess this is the only way I will actually know what kind of light levels I am dealing with
  3. hitmanx
    03-28-2014 11:58 PM
    hitmanx
    Okay that makes sense. So wont the larger dome spread the par even thinner then? So at the same height and same bulb the 10.5 would give less light per unit area than the 8.5?

Did you conduct the tests that led to your vertical cfl chart for a 10.5inch dome? According to that I would have a par of 90...
  4. hitmanx
    03-28-2014 07:52 PM
    hitmanx
    After 4weeks small tufts of BBA are starting to show up on dying leaves at the bottom of tank, dwarf sag, and on the anubias petite. I removed as much as I could and raise raise the light 1 inch.

Now my question is will a 10.5 inch fixture just extend the lighting footprint outwards or does it alter the available par values enough to warrant raising the light? The 8.5in is giving a spotlight effect with plants growing up and inwards.

Thanks
  5. hitmanx
    02-28-2014 04:17 PM
    hitmanx
    Okay thanks for your help! I'll start there and tweak the height... what kind of things should I be looking for that would tell me to raise it? How quickly can algae bloom? This will be first tank in about 20years, so I just don't remember
  6. hitmanx
    02-28-2014 12:12 PM
    hitmanx
    Sorry, I don't mean to to be a pest, but I'm trying figure out how high to hang the light to achieve upper low light par. At what height do you think it would be 40par? Which one of your charts did you use to get get to that answer? Can I assume the lower numbers chart you made and the one i4x4nMore or more realistic? I just need a ball park so I have somewhere to start from and tweak... are still selling par meters?
  7. hitmanx
    02-28-2014 01:39 AM
    hitmanx
    thanks for the reply. in my case i want low light, and my tank dimensions are 13x13in surface area, so i currently have a 23w daylight in a 8.5in dome and the bulb does NOT stick out... in the mean time, based on your previous experiments, which chart should i be using?

thanks again
  8. hitmanx
    02-26-2014 11:30 PM
    hitmanx
    Referencing this post: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=1#post5391970

Maybe you can shed some light (pun intended) on my problem with fluorescent bulbs and dome reflectors.

Data from several sources seem to contradict each other, maybe I'm just not reading it right.

Thanks