The Planted Tank Forum - Conversation Between AquaStudent and Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > AquaStudent

Conversation Between AquaStudent and Cottagewitch
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Cottagewitch
    02-06-2011 04:10 PM
    Cottagewitch
    Understandable. But I will say that I see my snails more than my Oto. LOL I might only see the Oto once a week and I spend the rest of the time wondering if its dead.
  2. AquaStudent
    02-06-2011 03:49 PM
    AquaStudent
    lol snails are an option but I want to get something a bit more interesting if possible. It's just a personal preference even though snails would also get the job done.
    Thanks
  3. Cottagewitch
    02-06-2011 12:20 PM
    Cottagewitch
    Honestly, I did not know there were different species until I read that in your thread. So I'll be of no use to you. Still, I think ramshorn snails are a very good option. I had some algae in my 3g that nothing was working on. It was driving me a little batty. I tossed two ramshorns in and they had it cleaned up in no time. I don't worry about them overrunning the tank because biology dictates there will only be as many as food allows for. So if I do my part and let them do theirs, we should get along just fine. I've seen them on my plants eating algae off the leaves but they've not harmed any of the plants themselves. Win/win as far as I'm concerned and they're a little more sturdy than otos. Though I DO have an Oto in the tank as well that I rarely see. LOL
  4. AquaStudent
    02-06-2011 12:19 AM
    AquaStudent
    Hey I was wondering if you could help me out with something. As you saw from my thread on Algae eaters I want to add something to help me with algae. What is the difference between the different "species" of otos. Already I've found 3 different ones (can't really find a difference)
    Otocinclus vittatus, vestitus, and affinis