The Planted Tank Forum - Conversation Between Mxx and Brad1
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Mxx

Conversation Between Mxx and Brad1
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Mxx
    12-31-2010 02:46 PM
    Mxx
    I wonder if it'd be worth it to stick an extra water pump on a Y connector to the canister filter return on my proposed tank or use one of the reef tank current boosters? In that way I could plug it in for just a few minutes each day to double or triple the tank's water flow and therefore 'flush' some extra detritus through the tank and into my filter's intake. I wouldn't mind using a large sponge on the intake to prefilter my canister's intake either. That would seem much easier to pull off and rinse out occasionally than the disruption of having to open up and rinse out canister filters to keep them from getting clogged up in time. And as the extra current of a daily 'flush; which could be done after each feeding would only be temporary, it's not something my discus would have to constantly struggle to cope with. That might be one way to easily cope in case the mulm in a no-water-change tank started to accumulate excessively.
  2. Brad1
    12-30-2010 11:12 PM
    Brad1
    I read the box that the filter came in. It says that it is 490 GPH. I have 2 of the same Eheim canister filters (Professional 3e/2078) working in this endeavor.

One has an approximately 3 foot spray bar, and on the other, I have the outflow nozzle pointed so it hits the back of the aquarium. I guess it would be pretty close to your 1000 GPH. The current that I have going at the present moment seems to be effective with the discus.

The problem I have right now is the brown algea forming on the plants. I need to get some more current going in the mid section of the tank to keep food particles off the leaves of the plants. I need to work on this subject some more.

This tank will always be a work in progress, but it keeps me busy. I really enjoy working and learning all I can to make this tank something that I cam be extremely proud of.
  3. Brad1
    12-30-2010 11:10 PM
    Brad1
    I read the box that the filter came in. It says that it is 490 GPH. I have 2 of the same Eheim canister filters (Professional 3e/2078) working in this endeavor.

One has an approximately 3 foot spray bar, and on the other, I have the outflow nozzle pointed so it hits the back of the aquarium. I guess it would be pretty close to your 1000 GPH. The current that I have going at the present moment seems to be effective with the discus.

The problem I have right now is the brown algea forming on the plants. I need to get some more current going in the mid section of the tank to keep food particles off the leaves of the plants. I need to work on this subject some more.

This tank will always be a work in progress, but it keeps me busy. I really enjoy working and learning all I can to make this tank something that I cam be extremely proud of.
  4. Mxx
    12-29-2010 10:25 PM
    Mxx
    (Had to cut off my previous message). Do you by the way happen to know what your likely GPH filter flow and how effective that is at creating an appropriately mild current throughout the tank, to give me an idea of what range to target? If two Sun Suns at 1000 GPH total is too much current for discus even in an aquarium of that size then it's easy enough to direct the return flow into a 'blast plate' to kill its directional current inducing capacity, which is what I'm dong with my Fluval 305 on my nano pilot tank.
  5. Mxx
    12-29-2010 10:21 PM
    Mxx
    Hi Brad, thanks for the support and great looking tank. It'll still be a while before I'd start up this tank, despite that I just bought a used digital PH controller on Ebay already... In any case, that's why I'm doing my homework now.
    I added to my post just now, but am just surprised that no one else has really tried this, or at least not with discus. It's not as if I can take credit though for the minimal water-change concept, despite that I am promoting the discussion of it. I am however taking it to its logical extreme perhaps ,if I'm suggesting utilising it for a heavily stocked discus tank and -never- doing any actual water changes!... I'm yet to see anything to the contrary as to why that wouldn't work perfectly well though given adequate planting and comprehensive filtration including anaerobic bacterial activity though, but have further reading to do still. People certainly seem wary of such radically different approach, and perhaps appreciably so.
  6. Brad1
    12-29-2010 04:19 PM
    Brad1
    After reading your post, I have to admit that I am speechless. If you could pull this off, you would be none short of brilliant! I am wishing you the best of luck on this endeavor.

Like other replies I am sure, I feel that you do not have enough filtration going on. I have a 125 gallon tank with discus. I am working on planting it very heavily. I have 2 Eheim 2076/78 filters going, and 2 sponge filters. I still feel like I could go with another Eheim. I don't feel that anyone could ever over filter a discus tank.

With my setup, I still clean and remove water at the rate of 50% everyday. That may be overkill to some, but it is what I am used to.

Again, the best of luck to you. I hope that you keep us all posted, and I hope that you will be willing to give up your secrets if you are able to make this dream a reality.