The Planted Tank Forum - Conversation Between LilGreenPuffer and WillyJ
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > LilGreenPuffer

Conversation Between LilGreenPuffer and WillyJ
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 21
  1. LilGreenPuffer
    09-24-2010 09:58 PM
    LilGreenPuffer
    Oh, haha, you're completely welcome!
  2. LilGreenPuffer
    09-24-2010 09:54 PM
    LilGreenPuffer
    Yes, you'd need to treat all of them to eradicate the parasite. If you have any invertebrates, be sure to use an invert-safe medication.

If a puffer is exposed to air, he/she might panic and try to puff. However, while water is easily expelled after puffing underwater, air can get stuck. The puffer is unable to swim properly, and might not even be able to get back below the surface. He/she could actually be scared to death, worn out with trying to get back underwater. There are ways of "burping" a puffer in an emergency - The Puffer Forum has an article.
  3. WillyJ
    09-24-2010 09:49 PM
    WillyJ
    Okay, would it be best to treat the whole tank since the other fish in there have beenexposed to the parasite? Good to know about not exposing her to air, why is this bad? Thanks for answering all my questions
  4. LilGreenPuffer
    09-24-2010 09:22 PM
    LilGreenPuffer
    You can do that, yep. Just be super-careful not to expose her to air when you transport her.

I've always just used Jungle Parasite Guard. It works for me. I'm planning on getting some invert-safe stuff soon, though. I want to deworm my otos, and they of course don't eat regular food, and the snails could probably use it, too, since some of them came from a pet store and surely are carrying SOME kind of pathogens.
  5. WillyJ
    09-24-2010 07:58 PM
    WillyJ
    I did a little research and it looks like if I can't get her to eat I can do a medicated bath in a QT tank. Do you have a perticular medication you would recommend? It looks like Fenbendazole or Droncit would be good. Going to hit my LFS this afternoon and see what they recommend.
  6. LilGreenPuffer
    09-24-2010 06:55 PM
    LilGreenPuffer
    I bet deworming and rich food will do the trick. It'll work best if you can get her to consume medication by treating her food, but puffers are picky, so you might have to also soak it in garlic.
  7. WillyJ
    09-24-2010 06:38 PM
    WillyJ
    Okay, I'll deworm the tank.

There are 8 tiger barbs and they school and keep to themselves. I've never seen them chase her or pay her any attention at all.
  8. LilGreenPuffer
    09-24-2010 06:15 PM
    LilGreenPuffer
    She needs to get dewormed, I should think. Just deworm the entire tank. To get some weight back on her, feed her live blackworms.

How many tiger barbs? If there's fewer than 8-10, they might be bugging her and stressing her out, putting her off her food. Just a thought.
  9. WillyJ
    09-24-2010 03:48 PM
    WillyJ
    actually, if your a bit of an expert on the lil green guys maybe you could help me with a problem I've had lately? I have a male and a female in a heavily planted tank with some tiger barbs. Everyone was doing well for a few months but lately the female has been extremely reclusive and I don't think she is eating. I saw her yesterday and she looks pretty skinny. I put her in the breeder trap and dropped a couple blood worms right in front of her... Nothing. She look miserable in the little breeder so I let her out, I think I'll set up a QT tank this weekend and mover her over away from the male and barbs. Any ideas on this issue?
  10. WillyJ
    09-24-2010 02:31 PM
    WillyJ
    Yeah, I love the little guys