The Planted Tank Forum - Conversation Between isais and hydrophyte
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > isais

Conversation Between isais and hydrophyte
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. isais
    12-02-2009 12:56 AM
    isais
    OK cool, again it was just something I had remembered seeing and thought I would throw it your way. Are you going to have both the suction cup and magnet products available then as a choice or are you swinging one way over the other?
  2. hydrophyte
    12-01-2009 02:02 AM
    hydrophyte
    Thanks very much for raising this point. Potential interactions between fish and magnets were definitely something that came to mind during development of those magnet planters. I would not be surprised if some do have some sensitivity to strong magnetic fields. However, very strong sandwich magnets are already used with a number of aquarium appliances and other devices, such as algae scraping pads and powerheads, with apparently limited negative effects. This is perhaps an issue to be aware of, but I don't anticipate that those magents on the riparium planters will cause significant problems.

Nevertheless, I think that I would be disinclined to use such magnets with certain fish, such as sharks.
  3. isais
    12-01-2009 01:45 AM
    isais
    Heya, I just saw that you have a magnet basket product available now. Im a bit of a geek (ok honestly Im a HUGE geek) and I remember seeing a study a while back on the effects of magnetic waves on birds and sharks (I think it was on discovery channel and if I can find the specific story Ill link it). I was just wondering if you had considered the effect on fish with this set up, especially with how much iron we tend to dose in a planted tank? Im NOT a PITA member nor some crazy animal rights person, just thought I would bring this to your attension. Here are a couple of informative links if your interested http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magbio.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron.