The Planted Tank Forum - drazend's Album: 55 Gallon Second Hand tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > drazend's Profile > Albums

55 Gallon Second Hand tank
This is our 55 gallon second hand tank, we bought it (and it came with a 12 year old pleco) and decided to alter it a bit before getting fish to put in it. We painted the stand, tank frame, hood, light fixtures and back glass black. We replaced the purple gravel with PFS from Home Depot and added some knobs I got on a clearance rack at Lowes. I am slowly working to replace the plastic plants with real plants and some driftwood. We are currently still cycling the tank and have lost several fish (thank goodness for PetSmarts 14 day return policy!). I also had a noisy light, it was a magnetic ballast/transformer going bad. I fixed it by purchasing an under the counter light fixture from wal-mart ($7) removing the electronic ballast/transformer and wiring it to the old fixture/mounts. It starts immediately now, and no noise!! I'm also working on a DIY canister filter (after much reading) with some parts i have around the house. At the time of these pictures, there are NO live plants :(
This is the original setup with everything we received (including the old pleco). I didn't think to turn on the lights when i took the "before"...
Left
Right
After from the front
Left
Right