The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Todd's first planted tank - 5g
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Todd's first planted tank - 5g

Hi all!

New member and new to planted tanks.

I've started a 5g tank at work using an Aqueon minibow tank. Not as nice as the Eclipse, but it was one I could get a bulb to fit (more questions on that below).

From reading the forum I ordered the following plants

Crypt Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii) Pot
Crypt Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii) Pot
Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)
Nana (Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’)
Sag, Dwarf Subulata

Already realized that I should have ordered unpotted plants for everything.

Tank Specifics:

5g Minibow with stock filter
Sustrate: Activ-Flora
Lighting: 10w Coralife 50/50 mini compact florescent

I have taken potting off the plants and most of the material and started placing them into the gravel.

Questions based on more reading:

1) Can I add a sand layer over the gravel substrate? Seems that sand is more common for planted tanks and might make it easier for the plants on the substrate.

2) For lighting output, is the wattage on a CF bulb what the tank recieves, or the incandescent equivelant? I also ordered a 20watt bulb, not sure if it is going to fit into the hood yet.

3) I thought the java fern was going to be way smaller than what arrived. It's already taller than the tank so I trimmed it off to fit. Might have to try keeping it going in some state until I get a larger tank setup.

4) I've put around 3" of substrate based on recommendations. How deep should plants be placed? The nana is going on driftwoood, the rest will be sunk into the substrate.

Lots and lots more questions to follow along with some pics.

Thanks in advance for any help, this looks like a great forum and I'm eager to learn!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome