The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Lighting Advice 6' long x 2' deep
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 AM
DaveK
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmanfoo View Post
Thanks for the info re lights. To give you some context, the aquarium i am looking at is https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqu...cabinet-vxa031. The wife agreed on the condition that it was a nice piece of furniture also. I currently have https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqu...abinet-aq110wr from the same range, and am happy with it, just want something bigger.

So taking your advice on board, I am now thinking about 2 or 4 x Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0. Not too cheap, but they look perfect for my needs. The reviews are great (except complaints about the touch power button) and it offers a fair amount of control via a wifi mobile app (as an optional extra). Any personal experience with this model? I have read a couple of independent reviews which state this puts out around 50 PAR on a glass covered tank at 21". If this is accurate, 2 of these should be sufficient.
I would still contend that getting rid of the hood or canopy would make it look even better, but that's your choice.

The Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0 fixture is a yet to be released product. My take on this is that I don't care how good or fantastic the claims are, I have no desire to purchase the product until it's been on the market awhile, about 6 months. New products have a way of being 30 days away from release for many months or even years. New products may have serious issues that need to be resolved. Wait and see, or get something available now. I will say that about 99% of the time, the "latest and greatest" product is better but not by that much.

As for getting away with 2 fixtures verses 4. No matter how bright the light is, your asking a lot of it to span width of 60cm (23.5 inches) with one fixture. You may get ok light on the bottom, but at the top, front and back will tend to look very dark. To some extent, this is a matter of personal preference and budget. Personally I can't stand these dark areas. You could however, try things with 2 fixtures and see how you like it. It's easy enough to add more later.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome