The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Lighting Advice 6' long x 2' deep
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Chadmanfoo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
My first question is why not get rid of the hood or canopy? Personally, I think they are big, bulky and ugly. Consider a simple cover glass or screen to keep the fish in and the cats and kids out. Of course, this us very subjective.

I have used the Finnex Fugeray Planted+ on another tank. This was only a 20H. In my opinion it's good light, but totally lacks any type of control, it's either on or off. The Finnex FugeRay Planted+ 24/7 does have control functions, but I have never used this light, so I can't tell you how good it is.

As for the Current Satellite LED+ pro. I've had them awhile now, and I do get good light from them. I do feel they are a bit lacking in the control functions, in that you can't control multiple lights from one controller. You need to set up each one individually. This isn't too bad for the two I have, but you'd want at least 4 for what your looking at doing.

To be fair, I'm a bit spoiled here, because on my 125 gal reef system I have 4 AI Hydra 52 fixtures on a director. With that I can control everything from the browser on my computer, and dial in just about anything I want on any fixture. Great light but out of sight expensive.
Thanks for the info re lights. To give you some context, the aquarium i am looking at is https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqu...cabinet-vxa031. The wife agreed on the condition that it was a nice piece of furniture also. I currently have https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqu...abinet-aq110wr from the same range, and am happy with it, just want something bigger.

So taking your advice on board, I am now thinking about 2 or 4 x Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0. Not too cheap, but they look perfect for my needs. The reviews are great (except complaints about the touch power button) and it offers a fair amount of control via a wifi mobile app (as an optional extra). Any personal experience with this model? I have read a couple of independent reviews which state this puts out around 50 PAR on a glass covered tank at 21". If this is accurate, 2 of these should be sufficient.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome