The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - filter for small planted tank, novice
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 10 gallon tank with the standard single flourescent light. I have Java Fern on driftwood and some fourleaf clover (pond type, we'll see if it gets shorter) started in flourite. I'll be adding some stem plants as soon as I find out what I can find locally that looks good and will tolerate 1.5 wpg.

Question 1 - Does anyone have any reccomendations for background stem plants for a new small tank?

Question 2 - I will switch that tube for a better bulb soon, as it is whatever comes standard from Walmart and it looks very purple which is weird with the driftwood.
There is no reflector in this hood, do I need one, can I make one?

Question 3 - I have no filter on this yet. I have a powerhead that I just got at a garage sale, it was running an UGF in a 20 gallon saltwater tank. Should I add that powerhead to this tank now for circulation, or do I really need a filter?

Question 4 - I do intend to add fish, eventually. I love the idea of a species tank (read an article about that and it sounds great) but first I know that I'll need certain things to take care of algae, how many otos and/or cory catfish and/or mollies and/or shrimp do I need, and after those, what else can I fit in the 10 gallon tank?

I'm OK if this will only hold a clean up crew and a single betta, or zebra danios or something. One day I will have a huge tank with schools of fish and plants. This is a learning tank. When it is running well I'll start on the 20 gallon I just picked up. Lighting will be an investment there and I'm not ready for it just yet.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome