The Planted Tank Forum banner

Gahhh, anyone know where I can find decent priced stingrays?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  johnatmidway 
#1 ·
I live in Tacoma, and the only place i know that has Teacup Stingrays "retic" is The Wildside Pets but they are $99. And the store I work for Midway Tropical Pets :D wont keep them in stock for me to choose from because of issues with holding them for ppl and them not wanting the rays afterward. But i can get them for around $50, but i would rather not spend fifty on one then have it not eat. Any help? I just need a place nearby with rays under a hundred bucks?

#2 ·
Check out your local Cichlid group. One of them may be able to steer you in the direction of a breeder. There is one that I know of in Michigan, but he asks and gets $100 each.

Now, as to food. Are you really ready for the food bill?
Someone asked about the food bill. His reported cost for several breeding rays and their young, was $300 - $400 a month.

#3 ·
I dont think it would be anything near that for one small ray. I'm guessing at the most fifty a month.

#4 ·
I'm guilty of being lazy the other day.
One small one won't cost all that much to raise, but I'd really encourage you to check out a local breeder - which you may find through a Cichlid group or get a link to on a monster fish site. Rays are fragile and hard to raise. Experience comes but it may cost. Since you were concerned about the price and about it eating, that sounds like a wild caught critter. Tank raised will by definition, eat.

Our local ear doctor has a 150 with two rays. Neat, but he has a pro come in to take care of them.

#6 ·
Well COLETRAIN!!!
you could have asked me, instead of getting a few for the store to stare at until you decide which one you want.

the private breeder goes by the name of daves rays and he's on MFK. I would have much rather seen you grab a ray from him vs. where we got those.

keep those rays alive in the store chief (even after you grab the one you want) Or I will become the angryface john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.