The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 1.5 gal shrimphaus journal (final hurrah 1/20/11)
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Send a message via AIM to Bonefish
The tank is back to a 3 day blackout.

Turns out the spirogyra algae has an attitude. It's hard to get rid of (according to other people on here, apparently it's THE hardest algae to get rid of, joy. It loves good water conditions). The tank was fine for a day or two post-blackout, and then the algae came back en masse. So I'm going all-out on the algae: blackout, Excel, reduced ferts, reduced photoperiod for a few days.

Keep your fingers crossed that I'll be able to kick it. I'd hate to lose this 'scape. Where will my little shrimps live when they get here?

@Destroyer551 - thanks! You probably won't want any trimmings until after I'm sure the spirogyra is gone.

@Lindo - I've noticed that the Hagen Mini is very sensitive to things blocking the vents and/or sponge. A few tiny plant leaves are enough to cut bubble production in mine, so I rinse the sponge media frequently to clear it. That, and you need the venturi valve plugged in and open for maximum bubbling.

--The user formerly known as TsuRyuu --
Current scapes
: 1.5 gal betta shack
Tank graveyard:
2.5 gal betta iwagumi :: 1.5 gal shrimp forest :: 2.5 gal low tech
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome