The Planted Tank Forum banner

Riverside Tank, Dragon Bones

18K views 95 replies 48 participants last post by  Daisy Mae 
#1 ·
I've finally decided to AQUASCAPE a tank. All these years I've been raising jungle grow out tanks, no aquascaping to speak of.

The inspiration for this tank is from my fishing trips in rivers and lakes around Cincinnati. A couple of the plants in this tank are actually from the local area.

I'm going emersed right now. I'll add fish that will definitely tear up the hair grass so I want to give them a change to establish. And the established roots will hold the slopes together too.

tank: 75G
lights: 3 t5 HO, 2 rosettes, 1 daylight
substrate: flourite, mineralize soil, paver's sand
hardscape: black soap stones... The ph isn't affected but the GH will probably go up but what stone won't.
plant: dwarf hairgrass, giant hairgrass, ludwigia sp.

See less See more
#35 ·
quarantined the roselines and they all died in quarantine.

I'm running into another issue too. I'm getting algae on older growth and it's a sign of low CO2, so I cranked up the CO2. The loaches and pleco were not happy. Everybody else seemed fine. I found the pleco upside down, barely breathing (comatose)... I picked him up and threw him in the quarantine tank and he came around within a few minutes. The loaches stay hidden all day.

So, I'm going to raise my lights up a few inches, and lower the CO2. ANd also do some serious trimming to get rid of the algae. I guess it's not going to be as high-tech as I'd like it too. No more pearling plants.

#37 ·
I don't think the fish store will cover the loss but it doesn't hurt to ask.

the loaches are moving and hiding which are good signs. I did a 50% water change. I tell you what, the plants grew like crazy with the extra CO2. I guess the fish are more important to me.

#40 ·
I feel you. That is why I am going to my old method of growing plants in my 55. The fish are happier and that is the most important thing to me. Yeah, I love pearling - but what fun is it if the fish all die?

Have you thought about using Giant Danios now that you are back to fish selections? There are some interesting studies done on these and other danios. My favorite one is how they are ranked and the posturing they will do when coming across a higher ranking fish. They will actually "bow" to the more dominant fish. I was just reading this in a book I borrowed from the library. If you are interested, I'll send you the excerpt.

#42 ·
Finally an quick update.
I rescaped a bit; removed 2 large rocks to add more plants.

new plants in the tank
• c. undulata
• anubias nana
• Hygrophila corymbosa Kompakt
• Hygrophila corymbosa siemensis
• Anubias nana narrow leaf
• Ludwigia ovalis

Water Plant Liquid Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

#49 ·
yeah, the dwarf hair grass is slowly thinning. The loaches are not grass friendly. The anubias and the kompakt is a good transition I think. Instead of the harsh grass to rock, it's now, grass, bush, then rock. It's a better transition, I think.

Oh, the the grass is collect mulm too. And then the algae grows on the mulm. So, it's not the easiest thing to take care of.

#58 ·
It's like saying why don't you get rid of your kids :)
They're a pain but they let me pet them while I do my water change. THe hairgrass is now gone and the H. compakt has taken over and I just planted Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho'. They're staying so that's a good sign.

So nothing much to look at in this tank.. I got the case of BBA.

I'm doing excel right now.

On a good note.
The emersed Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia' is flowering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.