Changes to the S&S, PowerSellers/Sponsors Forums - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

We have read mods telling people several times in this thread that things aren't issues or wont be discussed any further........

No point can be a non-issue.......

This thread was created for a discussion so the mods and website members could hear and share opinions. If thats the case I dont think any point can be a non-issue, if people have concerns or want to rant no matter if the subject has been covered a million times already then mods need to let them and listen.... After all thats what this thread was for correct?

An obvious concern for PM's has come up....

Power sellers cant wait to talk to kyle about the new changes.

Even though these issues have been mentioned it seems these issues are being swept under the rug or some mods are even saying that certain things are already set in stone....

If thats true, the point of this thread is moot. TPT.Net we love you ALL of us. Please love all of us. If these are our concerns and it could help generate revenue for the website maybe its a good idea.

On one hand I can understand wanting to be the friend and companion for the hobbyist, its admirable wanting to stay small scale to give the site a more personal feel but becarefull that you dont run yourself out of business as another wal-mart pops up around the corner.

This day in age its important to make wise business decisions. Many of our local fish stores got shut down because they didnt adapt to the new online presence. I hope that TPT.net will adapt.... Being a profiting forum isn't a bad idea and you can offer more to your members through the extra funds. This sounds like a win win.

Just our .02 cents.

RAOK Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How about power sellers who sell livestock like shrimp? The inability to update what remains of their stock makes it troublesome to say the least. Also it makes it more difficult for us buyers to find their stock availability.

Plant threads are so numerous in number I feel they will out number livestock sales and ultimately bury viable threads that sell livestock.

I think there should be a division of the SnS category into fish and plants to give a more convenient distinction
post #123 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Nothing is being swept under the rug.

Sales aren't being limited - they're being improved. You can now edit your sales threads an unlimited number of times for ten days without any penalty. Sellers absolutely can update what's available. After that point, if you have an account that allows it, you can create another sales thread. The only thing you can't edit is your thread title/headline. So sellers will need to think about what they're selling and make sure their title is accurate. This is a good thing and will cause less confusion as people are casually browsing sales.

If you have more than 2,000 private messages, export them. It only took me an hour to download thousands of them and get them neatly sorted into a more usable format. Shouldn't take anyone else nearly as long. That's not much of an issue at all.

I think Kyle's post is really clear and easy to understand if one takes the time to read it once or twice.

What's great about the new system is that it will be more difficult for people to abuse the Swap & Shop or take advantage of loopholes. Hobbyists like me no longer have to upgrade because we're selling a large amount of products. That is a huge benefit we need to keep in mind. We're actually getting more for less. We'll no longer be drowned out by sales threads that get really busy and turn into huge discussions. And hobbyists who only need to sell a few things here and there will have a better shot at moving their plants or goods quickly without disappearing.

Nobody is getting taken advantage of. Power Sellers who have recently paid are being refunded, as moderators have said. The new system will allow you a few different sorting options to make things easier to find.

Take me for instance. Look at my feedback. It's clear that I'm selling a lot. I sell the same amount regardless of whether or not my threads get bumped every two or three days. The reality is no one would be buying my shrimp food if they didn't want it and that's something we should remember. If it's something people want, they'll find it and buy it. And I can just about promise it'll be easier for them to do that with the new system that is less confusing and hectic. We just have to give it a chance before jumping to conclusions.

Being able to sell and trade on a site as large as this is a real privilege, in my opinion. It's a community of hobbyists that share and learn. It allows people like us to become great at what we do. Let's not lose sight of that.

I hope we can all remember what makes TPT great is the wealth of information it contains. Anything beyond that is merely an added bonus.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 07-09-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #124 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

The more I think about it, the more I'd like everyone to be able to link to their SnS thread if they have one. People will get buried quickly if we can't bump and honestly, how many pages are people going to read through to find what they want? I usually give up at page 3. If I posted a sales thread on a Monday, it would probably be ten pages back by Friday. That doesn't give everyone a fair chance at being able to sell, buy or RAOK unless they want to take ages to search.

Edit: I left out the most important part of this thread. I want all of us to be able to link to our FS threads in our sigs. Leave it to me to make that mistake.

-Lisa

Selling it all!

Last edited by Kunsthure; 07-10-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Grammar and because I'm a moron.
post #125 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Planted Member

If your item sells in between the 10 and 30 days will we still be able to lock, mark it sold or even delete the listing? I just worry about the tons of Craigslist like pms of "is this item still available?".
post #126 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

Any chance of putting livestock sale threads in a subsection of FS/FT? You would still need to click through the main FS/FT area but it would be nice so shrimp and fish sales are not buried by ludwigia trimming threads.
post #127 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunsthure View Post
.... People will get buried quickly if we can't bump and honestly, how many pages are people going to read through to find what they want? I usually give up at page 3. If I posted a sales thread on a Monday, it would probably be ten pages back by Friday. That doesn't give everyone a fair chance at being able to sell, buy or RAOK unless they want to take ages to search.

-Lisa
One of the purposes of the new system is (theoretically) to help eliminate the problems that you mention; namely, that SnS threads can get buried in a (useless) pile of bumps and random comments. In order to avoid missing a cool SnS post, I often click on the "new posts" button several times a day. (I suspect many other people do that as well...)

In the new system, the bump posts will be eliminated. This alone will probably eliminate half of the posts registered on this site right there! Instead, if you want to see what people are selling, in addition to checking out the "new posts", you're also want to go to the SnS page and look to see what's for sale. By having all of the SnS listed without the clutter of bumps and random comments (since those will now be done via PM's), the chance of any particular post being "buried" is diminished. Is a particular "SnS" post going to be diminished in the "new posts" section? Yes, simply because it can't be "bumped" anymore. Is it going to be diminished in the "SnS" section? No, and that is the point of this change. I think this new system is going to be a massive change for everyone, myself included, but we all just need to keep an open mind and think about how this will help this site overall.
post #128 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When you run out, you can mark it 'SOLD' and the PMs should abate.

If you want to find your own thread, you can bookmark it in your browser and it should be in your subscribed threads folder if you've set your TPT options to automatically subscribe when you post.

The constant bumping and excess chat in the sales section was one of the problems this will hopefully correct.

+1 on what somewhatshocked said.

Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #129 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 AM
I ♥ BBA!

I saw that many members have asked about sorting into groups. There will be an ability to sort by the following:
Fish
Equipment
Invertebrates
Plants
Other
(and I believe Sold, but I'm not certain on this one)

You will be able to edit the sales post to remove items, mark everything as sold AND will have the ability to add new items for sell while the thread is open for edits.

The only group that will be allowed to advertise in their signatures will be the sponsors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
I like the new changes, for Power Sellers, instead of offering a refund, just make their threads more visible (i.e. different color or bold)--this is way better than a dedicated forum and would give them more exposure and I think more people would buy powerseller ranks. Personally I rarely ever navigate to the power seller section. Too much hassle. 1 sales forum is much easier to search.
The power sellers as an option will be eliminated as of next week so this won't be an option. Also, no group will have stars, bolded text or any other method to stand out from the other sellers. The goal is to make this easy for people to buy and sell from everyone without distractions. I hope this answers your question.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #130 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Also, no group will have stars, bolded text or any other method to stand out from the other sellers. The goal is to make this easy for people to buy and sell from everyone without distractions. I hope this answers your question.
I really really like this....can't wait until next week.
post #131 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

In the long run I think this will be a great way to reduce the Mod's work plus make the playing field the same for everyone.

Realistically as a GOLD member you can start a thread each week if you really need to. so for those that are complaining about not enough threads being able to start one a week should be sufficient even for most current powersellers.

Being able to edit contents for upto 10 days is also a plus just have to be creative with the titles and as you sell more people know whos' items they are after and can search or watch for their threads.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #132 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I saw that many members have asked about sorting into groups. There will be an ability to sort by the following:
Fish
Equipment
Invertebrates
Plants
Other
(and I believe Sold, but I'm not certain on this one)
How will this work if you are selling items from multiple categories? Do you have the ability to assign multiple group types to a post?
post #133 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
When you run out, you can mark it 'SOLD' and the PMs should abate.

If you want to find your own thread, you can bookmark it in your browser and it should be in your subscribed threads folder if you've set your TPT options to automatically subscribe when you post.

The constant bumping and excess chat in the sales section was one of the problems this will hopefully correct.

+1 on what somewhatshocked said.
What I left out was that I want all of us to be able to link to our FS threads in our sigs. I just realized I left out the most important part of my whole point! Head_desk. I don't understand why only sponsors can link to their FS threads. I think it'll make it easier for people to find what they want without searching through the SnS. For instance, I've been running an RAOK of MTS. I could link to that in my sig, or at least be able to say it without a link, and wherever I post, people will know they can get MTS from me.

-Lisa

Selling it all!

Last edited by Kunsthure; 07-10-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Trying to explain myself
post #134 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

From what I understand, these changes are driven from the need of a more equatable level playing field for most of the members who just want to sell a few things at a time and the extremely difficult to moderate nature of the present system.

Moderators shouldn't have to spend hours of their free time each day keeping track of the sales sections. Kyle has greatly automated the software so they don't have to micromanage the threads. Mods like to talk and enjoy this site as much as the rest of us. In order for the automation to work, these changes are needed to facilitate the process.

Don't forget this is all still a learning process and I'm sure there will be more fine tuning to come. Let's just give Kyle and the staff the benefit of the doubt and see how it all works out.

Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #135 of 281 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunsthure View Post
What I left out was that I want all of us to be able to link to our FS threads in our sigs. I just realized I left out the most important part of my whole point! Head_desk. I don't understand why only sponsors can link to their FS threads. I think it'll make it easier for people to find what they want without searching through the SnS. For instance, I've been running an RAOK of MTS. I could link to that in my sig, or at least be able to say it without a link, and wherever I post, people will know they can get MTS from me.

-Lisa
The forum has never allowed anyone to link in there signature but sponsors it is a form of advertising goods which takes away from teh hobby thing. Just one of the perks for advertising your stuff and spending the money to do so plus having forum banners, and your own forum. If everyone did it the forum would be jam full of links and typing everyones signatures and at that point what is the point of having a classifieds section.

If you are looking for something specific go to the forum tou want and select search this forum, type in what you want and peruse the results. The search feature on this site can save alot of time when looking for something.

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode