Filter floss/fiber fill? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nlewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filter floss/fiber fill?

So I need to clean my canisters today and I went out and picked up some fiber fill from the craft store. They had a couple brands to choose from, but none of them stated whether it was flame retardant. I did pull a piece off and lit it on fire. It does burn and the flame will spread but eventually goes out. It is 100% polyester fiber but I'm just not sure whether it's safe to use. Anyone have any insight on this? If this is no good could someone recommend a brand I could use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	586226  

Just a noob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good. I think that if it does not say 'Flame Retardant' then it is not, so it is OK.
Does the company that packaged it have a web site? Maybe more info there.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

From what's been said, if the bag doesn't specifically say "Fire Retardant" then it shouldn't have any chemical and would be safe to use in aquaria.
So the one you have should be safe to use. Your's is already 100% polyester so you are good there.

But if you still have doubts, I use Poly-Fil made by Fairfield and it's safe. 100% polyester, doesn't mention "Fire Retardant" and I've been using it for years.
I get it Walmart, I prefer to get the batting/sheet/roll, not the loose fluff (for stuffing plush toys, pillows, etc.). The loose form just more likely has little pieces of thread that come off that can end up floating around in your aquarium. Haven't heard of it entangling and binding up impellers though. The roll is just more convenient IMO.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
From what's been said, if the bag doesn't specifically say "Fire Retardant" then it shouldn't have any chemical and would be safe to use in aquaria.
So the one you have should be safe to use. Your's is already 100% polyester so you are good there.

But if you still have doubts, I use Poly-Fil made by Fairfield and it's safe. 100% polyester, doesn't mention "Fire Retardant" and I've been using it for years.
I get it Walmart, I prefer to get the batting/sheet/roll, not the loose fluff (for stuffing plush toys, pillows, etc.). The loose form just more likely has little pieces of thread that come off that can end up floating around in your aquarium. Haven't heard of it entangling and binding up impellers though. The roll is just more convenient IMO.
Yeah so I got impatient and ran out to Walmart and picked a 50oz bag of the Poly-fil. While I was standing there I called Fairfield and they stated that they do not treat any of there products. I did burn the poly-fil and it burns the same as the original fiber I bought, so I guess I have a 2 year supply now.

Thanks for all the info

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Looks good. I think that if it does not say 'Flame Retardant' then it is not, so it is OK.
Does the company that packaged it have a web site? Maybe more info there.
No it did not. It is a house brand material of Michaels.
WaterLife likes this.

Just a noob
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, the Fairfield stuff that comes rolled up in sheets is what I use. You can actually find that information on their website if you look hard enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode