"Improved" python no spill system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"Improved" python no spill system

I been trying to find a way to get this pesky and annoying problem I have with python gravel vac. It's big, wide diameter and clumsy (24 inch long). You gotta be near the tank or have someone there holding that big gravel vac or it would go flying out of the tank, doesn't want to stay in place.

People on here suggest clamps and DIY pvc. Don't want that.

I needed something that can hang on the side of the tank while it drain the water once I got done surfacing the gravel of the tank.

Here is my improved version and mucher better!!

Using wat is already in the fish market for a long time and maybe "forgotten". Lee Mr. Cleaner, I attach their hose to it and wat a difference it makes.

Why is this much better than the gravel vac it came with???

1. Mr cleaner is battery powered which doesn't need you to full blast on the other end of your sink to create a siphon. With its battery, I turn it on and boom water start flowing to the sink and siphon is created.

2. Once siphon is created, turn off the power and it still runs!!

3. Hang that baby on the side of the tank and enjoy watching it drains hands free!! I did say hands free right!?

4. I haven't try this yet but with the extended tube, you can take out as many percent of water you want by moving the gravel tube up or down. It breaks the siphon once it gets below the water line mark on Mr. Cleaner.

5. I haven't try to refill with water while Mr cleaner is attached. I hook up the python hook to do my water refill.

Of course, still waiting to see if the company python would make something similar to this with their new product " hook". Instead of just refilling with water, why not take water out and refill with the same product??
Something for Python Inc to think about.

I hope this helps other. Let me know if you try it out and your improved.

Last edited by Hmoobthor; 01-31-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Huh. May have to hunt one of those down. I dislike the 24" gravel vac for the same reasons, though I can usually get the air out so it'll stay put (it's just a colossal pain so I don't use it very often).

There's something out there that does the fill/drain at the same time. Of course, it's been around for decades and nobody has ever admitted to using it so either it doesn't work v. well, or...?

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just lay glass top on hose while draining,filling.(took off the large diameter tube)
Been meaning to rig up something like what has been pictured but am lazy to some degree.
I like it though!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unless I actually need the gravel cleaner for some reason, this is my default method. Yes; that is what it looks like.
Attached Images

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNGG View Post
Huh. May have to hunt one of those down. I dislike the 24" gravel vac for the same reasons, though I can usually get the air out so it'll stay put (it's just a colossal pain so I don't use it very often).

There's something out there that does the fill/drain at the same time. Of course, it's been around for decades and nobody has ever admitted to using it so either it doesn't work v. well, or...?
Wat's it called if u remember??

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I just lay glass top on hose while draining,filling.(took off the large diameter tube)
Been meaning to rig up something like what has been pictured but am lazy to some degree.
I like it though!
Laying the glasses top ontop of the gravel vac just flip it out of the tank.. Very annoying.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNGG View Post
Unless I actually need the gravel cleaner for some reason, this is my default method. Yes; that is what it looks like.
Python need to make something like that!! With extendable tube, u can take out percentage of water. I'm digging my improve version, cause it doesn't waste water. You only turn the water on when refilling only.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Technically, they do - the hook. It's just that the hook isn't long enough on the tank side to use for draining.

I found the name of the thing, btw. It was named the automatic water changer (very imaginative, huh?) It was made by Aquarium Systems. Does not look like it removed anything other than water as it came in a relatively small package and looked like it just sat on the rim of the tank. Supposedly eliminated the need for water conditioners too.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got a link or pic?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How cruel - sending me snipe hunting.

I found what looks like a demo picture of the thing in suite. Does not extend far into the tank at all. Too bad I never felt the urge to acquire one, if only to see how it works. Looks like it could be used as an alternative to an overflow box on an undrilled tank - assuming it works that is.

Third picture over at the top
NAGARAJAN'S WEBPAGE FOR BEGINNER'S TROPICAL FISH AQUARIUM

Packaging:
Manufacture and candid reviews of the Automatic Aquarium Water Changer

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks wat a nice product. I guess it been discontinue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode