My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302 - Page 46 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #676 of 757 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
tuffgong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DC/MD/VA
Posts: 1,527
Update: Both of mine are still going strong!!


Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #677 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower
 
etk300ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 137
Just got one of these guys to replace my fluval 304 that I busted the case manhandling. Fit and finish is pretty damn good, everything fits together great. However the flow seems pretty weak compared to my 304, which is of very similar gph. I flipped flopped it and pretty sure all the air is out of it.

What do y'all think does this look right to you? http://youtu.be/lfTTGbr7E14

75G; DIY turtle top, Zilla T5/halogen combo, Sunsun 302, Skim350, Aqueon pro, Saftsorb
50G; Aquasun 2xT5HO, Sunsun 302, Aqueon pro, Aquatek CO2 reg, UP aqua atomizer, Saftsorb
etk300ex is offline  
post #678 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 419
I have one as well and the flow is probably a bit less than advertised. It does improve if you don't pack the thing tightly with extra pads or floss.

I run mine in tandem with a large HOB filter and I use the spray bar from the SunSun to get a bit of water movement lower in the tank.

SunSun Pimp #86
Virto is offline  
post #679 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower
 
tarsman013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Zephryhills, Florida
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk300ex View Post
Just got one of these guys to replace my fluval 304 that I busted the case manhandling. Fit and finish is pretty damn good, everything fits together great. However the flow seems pretty weak compared to my 304, which is of very similar gph. I flipped flopped it and pretty sure all the air is out of it.

What do y'all think does this look right to you? http://youtu.be/lfTTGbr7E14
May want to shorten the hoses, the farther the water needs to get pushed, the lower the GPH is going to be as the pump needs to work more. I did this with my 304b and it is like night and day.

There is ALWAYS a need for MORE filtration.
40b high tech, 20h low tech, and more 10g than I am willing to admit.
75g in the works (maybe discus high tech?)
SunSun Pimp #85
tarsman013 is offline  
post #680 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Algae Grower
 
etk300ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 137
I wouldn't of though it would make that great of a difference, thanks for the info. I'll cut them down when I install it, was just testing it out in my basement.

75G; DIY turtle top, Zilla T5/halogen combo, Sunsun 302, Skim350, Aqueon pro, Saftsorb
50G; Aquasun 2xT5HO, Sunsun 302, Aqueon pro, Aquatek CO2 reg, UP aqua atomizer, Saftsorb
etk300ex is offline  
post #681 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Algae Grower
 
tarsman013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Zephryhills, Florida
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk300ex View Post
I wouldn't of though it would make that great of a difference, thanks for the info. I'll cut them down when I install it, was just testing it out in my basement.
Yeah, mine made a big difference. I also found that pot scrubbies REALLY slow down the flow so I ended up ordering a couple more of the sponges for cheap from sunsun and used a metric crap ton of ceramic media (2 baskets full for a 40b) ceramic media is cheap through ebay (when you have so much, quality is not a huge deal) - I like the seller cll_petsupplies

There is ALWAYS a need for MORE filtration.
40b high tech, 20h low tech, and more 10g than I am willing to admit.
75g in the works (maybe discus high tech?)
SunSun Pimp #85
tarsman013 is offline  
post #682 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower
 
The_Shrimpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 149
Thank you for this post! I was literally checking these out on amazon for my de-rimmed 10 gal project! I was really on the fence because I didn't see many helpful reviews, so I put it in my wishlist to look into later. Guess I'm making a purchase tonight!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The_Shrimpress is offline  
post #683 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Minot,ND
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Shrimpress View Post
Thank you for this post! I was literally checking these out on amazon for my de-rimmed 10 gal project! I was really on the fence because I didn't see many helpful reviews, so I put it in my wishlist to look into later. Guess I'm making a purchase tonight!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
It might be a little much for a 10 gallon
Toby_kourtney is offline  
post #684 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Algae Grower
 
The_Shrimpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 149
I was actually referring to their 20 gallon canister

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The_Shrimpress is offline  
post #685 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 AM
The Security Dude
 
sbarbee54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Badlands
Posts: 4,321
Their flow rate a sucks I got rid of mine because of it and it died in a year any way


Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...half-done.html
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline  
post #686 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
tattooedfool83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Providence, RI
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Shrimpress View Post
I was actually referring to their 20 gallon canister

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Are u talking the 602 or 603? They would probally only be good for a 10 and te outflow wouldn't go over anything but a rimless tank
tattooedfool83 is offline  
post #687 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower
 
The_Shrimpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Are u talking the 602 or 603? They would probally only be good for a 10 and te outflow wouldn't go over anything but a rimless tank
Its a 10 gallon that I'm converting to rimless I wanted to do something clean looking, not have a rimless tank with an obnoxious HOB ruining all the awesome! I figured the smaller one would do the trick. Its going to be a simple budget build, I've got 6 tanks already and I'm working on 7 & 8. I wanted to change it up and do something different than my norm this time around. Seiryu in a simple rimless minimal plants little to no equipment showing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The_Shrimpress is offline  
post #688 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
tattooedfool83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Providence, RI
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Shrimpress View Post
Its a 10 gallon that I'm converting to rimless I wanted to do something clean looking, not have a rimless tank with an obnoxious HOB ruining all the awesome! I figured the smaller one would do the trick. Its going to be a simple budget build, I've got 6 tanks already and I'm working on 7 & 8. I wanted to change it up and do something different than my norm this time around. Seiryu in a simple rimless minimal plants little to no equipment showing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I bought the small sun sun canister filter that says 106gph I think, flow sucked and I had to make a custom outflow to fit over the lip of the tank. It's currently sitting in a corner of the room and I used the short intake from that filter on the fluval I have running on the tank now. I was considering maybe making this into a co2 reactor some how when I redo my 75.
tattooedfool83 is offline  
post #689 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower
 
The_Shrimpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 149
I've been religiously devoted to the Fluval c series HOB type filters, I'm not at all familiar with external types. You guys know of any other externals that are good for a decent price? Everything I've seen is really up there, and I don't want to go crazy on just a 10 gallon. Opinions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
The_Shrimpress is offline  
post #690 of 757 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 AM
The Security Dude
 
sbarbee54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Badlands
Posts: 4,321
Can't go wrong with a eheim 2213. I run eheim 2215 and 2217 on my 12 shrimp tanks


Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...half-done.html
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome