The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cheap filter media that works!

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ROYWS3 
#1 ·
I did a quick search and found no mention of Hydroton! This is a kiln fired red clay pebble used for hydroponic grow beds. Will not affect PH, is light, porous and very cheap compared to ceramic and other similar products. Comes out of the bag a bit dusty but rinses up nicely. Doesn't break down and works really well anywhere it fits. I have used it a few times to achieve instant cycle. Most of your local hydro shops sell it in small bags or a 50l bag is about $35. Lifetime supply. I have small net bags in my hob's and plan on a tray full in a canister I have in a pile of parts I am collecting for a new 55. Sounds like Aquaclear and canisters is what most of you folks are using so if you would like a cheap alternative bio-media check it out!

#5 ·
Just an option people. Not saying it's better or worse than other options. I had a bag from other projects and started using it in my filters and it worked really well, I know it worked well from other tanks I have started with no cycle. If you like lava rock use it! If you want to try Hydroton, try it. I really don't care, just thought I would share my experience. Also, I would like to point out lava rock creates particulate that ruins impellers, Hydroton doesn't.

#8 ·
I feel your frustration. I often find this is not a group who accepts new/different ideas without comment. I have my personal choices made and often put them out as alternates.
But that doesn't make them acceptable to those who have their favorites. Long ago somebody proposed that the world was not flat but round and what did sharing that idea get him?
Thanks for sharing the info.

>:)

#11 ·
. . . and you have to remember it's a forum. You are posting about a product that others may never have heard of. I for one, haven't so you are going to get questions and comparisons just as the above posters made - which were all perfectly appropriate.

Since you added some more explanation in subsequent posts, it made me want to look at this product further whereas your initial post, I really had no clue other than this being some sort of biological media.

IMO, no one was being negative, they were exchanging ideas and information as usually happens . . . in a forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.