The Planted Tank Forum banner

Canister Filters

6K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  herns 
#1 ·
If you were going to purchase a canister filter for a 75 gallon tank, which would you choose? Why would you choose this particular filter (pros & cons)?

#5 ·
I have a SunSun HW-302. Been very happy with it. I replaced the hose. I just wanted a different color. Removed the intake and replaced it with a glass intake as well as the spraybar with a glass lily pipe in its place. I have no complaints. I would not hesitate a bit to buy another one. Depending on how many media trays you want 3,4, or 5. The -x02's are rated at 1000 L/H or 264 G/H. The -x03's are rated at 1400 L/H or 369 G/H. The -x04's are rated at 2000 L/H or 528 G/H. I think they all have a UV sterilizer except the HW-302. It will not do much more than kill free floating algae, but hey its there.

The Eheims are a geat. They are more expensive, but realize that most Eheims that I know of does also include media. So, that is something to take into consideration. I was using specific media, so I wanted a canister with no media.

#6 ·
A good rule of thumb is to cut the gallon figures provided by filter manufacturers in half. The Eheim 2217 is, according to Eheim, good for up to 160 gallons so it should be up to the task of filtering a 75 gallon. However, flow rates from Eheim canisters are considerably lower than other manufacturers so you will probably have to put a powerhead or the like in there to up the circulation.

#12 ·
I am custodian for a 40 gallon, 75 gallon, and a 55 gallon aquaria
After to many filters I only use Ehein pro 3's ( not the e)
They are sold in three models depending on GPH

I do not use their media and prefer to use good old lava rock.
Additionally I do not use spray bars.

They are easy to clean, have good flow, are quiet and dependable.

#13 ·
A Sun Sun HW-302 is underpowered for a 75 gallon. If you went with SunSun, get the 304 or newer 404 model.

For filters in general you want the flow rate of the filter to achieve around 5 times the volume of your tank water. So for a 75 gallon tank x5 = 375 Gallon Per Hour flowrate.
So you would want at least a filter rated with a 375 GPH.
Be advised though that most filters flowrates are listed at level (not measured at under tank heights) head height with no media or tubing, so the actual GPH is a lot lower than listed. Take the SunSun 304/404 for example, it lists 525 GPH, but actual flowrate once properly set up is may be half that.
Although it is said that some of the better filters like Eheim or Fluval are closer/truer to their listed flowrates.

If you are on a budget and don't want to spend too much on a canister filter, I still would recommend SunSun 304/404. Great filter, but it is cheap so don't expect the material quality to be top notch, but it does hold up, just don't man handle it.

If you have the money and want top of the line, get Eheim. I don't know too much about the particular models, but they are strong and long lasting, BUT do your research as not all of them have had great reviews (ECCO).

Fluval canister filters are powerful, but from reports, they have quite a bit of flaws, so they aren't the most reliable (leaks).

So if it were me, either cheap SunSun -or TWO-, or get a Eheim. OR make a sump.

#14 ·
I have had a Hydor for about two months now or so. No complaints so far and can get a good deal on them on Amazon if you watch the price. I got the 350 for $85.00. I would think you would need a 450 or 650 though. Not sure what the price is.

Many will say get a 2217 and it is hard to argue with that.

#19 ·
How do we know the OP isn't stinking rich?

Buy one of these.

Super Jet Filter ES-2400 (for 180cm tank) with glass pipe set [105-1012] - $1,379.99 : Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano

You know you want to.

Why would I buy it?
Pros: It's Japanese and shiny. Amano used them.
Cons: You are now an ADA Fanboy who spent $1300 on a filter, which is only really a bucket with a pump and media.
Ummmm, let me clear this up right now.....the OP is NOT stinking rich by any stretch of the imagination!!! :laugh2:
I could never see myself spending $1300 on a filter. :grin2:

IMO the filstar is not the filter it once was, have several new ones that are out of service after only 1-3 years use while older xp models churn on for 10 years. I recently bought a cascade 1000 for a 55g tank and am impressed with its flow rate, much better filter than I expected.

Personally I would do 2 canisters or a canister\hob combo. Water circulation is very important and even a large filter will struggle to adequately turn a 75g solo. Personally I would go for an AC110 and either a Fluval 406\Cascade1200\SunSun304.
I actually use a Cascade 1200 and an AC110 HOB currently. I am considering replacing the HOB, and the Cascade 1200 will be the filter to beat when I purchase the other canister. :smile2:

#17 ·
IMO the filstar is not the filter it once was, have several new ones that are out of service after only 1-3 years use while older xp models churn on for 10 years. I recently bought a cascade 1000 for a 55g tank and am impressed with its flow rate, much better filter than I expected.

Personally I would do 2 canisters or a canister\hob combo. Water circulation is very important and even a large filter will struggle to adequately turn a 75g solo. Personally I would go for an AC110 and either a Fluval 406\Cascade1200\SunSun304.

#22 ·
Get a 2nd cascade, maybe a 1000. Bigals had them on sale for $85 when I got mine. Petsmart had the Fluval 306 for $84 last week not sure if it was a holiday special or what. Eheims run forever but the classics just aren't user friendly and they do have a lower flow than most. I have used aa sun sun 302 and for the $45 shipped it is a good filter.

Reactions: oscar123
#24 ·
I wish I knew more about canister filters when I first got into the hobbie some months ago instead of a HOB for my 30 gallon..I mean don't get me wrong my penguin 200 does an alright job but seeing some of these canister filters do that much if not way better then what I have now for 40 or 50 bucks more I'm just disappointed

#27 ·
My local fish store stopped carrying Eheim's because these filters are now made in China. They said they have seen increased quality issues from their customers in comparison to the past. They recommend Sicce Filters as their top brand (made in Italy) instead.

I do not have enough experience to make any conclusions, but thought I'd pass on the comments.

#28 ·
I was just running a Marineland c530 on my 75 before I had to tear it down :(

While it provided great filtration, it was a pain in the goonies to clean. I believe the media/water portion is 5 gallons itself, not to mention the very heavy motor, it was a pain to get out from under the stand. Most times, I would get a rubbermaid tub and break it down at the tank to clean. But I was %100 satisfied with the functionality. Big media trays and no bypass.

#29 ·
I run a Filstar XP L on my 125. I've been running it for probably over ten years with few problems. I too have heard the newer models are of lesser quality. I have no experience with the newer ones and can't speak to this. The only thing if done to mine is replace the impeller a couple of times and put a new gasket set on it. It did leak a bit once, I decided I didn't get it securely closed after cleaning it. No problems since.

It's easy to clean and you can reduce the flow while feeding. Parts are readily available from many sources. You can use a variety of different types of chemical and bio medias, I am currently running it with the original type foams, some floss, Renew and Eheim Substrat bio balls.

There are different sizes available, for a 75 I would go with the XP L.

Given my experience with it I would recommend.

#30 ·
Hmmm make up your mind yet? Lol
I was considering a couple eheim Classic for my 75 but from what I read they are difficult to clean. After having a canister that I dread maintaining once every month or so I want something that I can clean easily! After watching a couple vids on fluval 406 cleanings it seems incredibly easy and simple.

How are the sunsuns to clean and maintain?
Any more simple than the fluvals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.