Canister Filters - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
Hmmm make up your mind yet? Lol
I was considering a couple eheim Classic for my 75 but from what I read they are difficult to clean. After having a canister that I dread maintaining once every month or so I want something that I can clean easily! After watching a couple vids on fluval 406 cleanings it seems incredibly easy and simple.

How are the sunsuns to clean and maintain?
Any more simple than the fluvals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went with another Cascade 1200....should be here today. I can't comment on the SunSun, eheim, or fluvals bc I have no experience with any of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 06:26 AM
Algae Grower

Pets and ponds is selling fluval g3s for $260
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Planted Member

I use 2 Eheim 2217s in my 65-gallon. Maybe overkill, but that way you get flow from both corners, and if you clean the media in one, you still have the other as backup. I stagger cleaning L and R every few months.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachawry View Post
I use 2 Eheim 2217s in my 65-gallon. Maybe overkill, but that way you get flow from both corners, and if you clean the media in one, you still have the other as backup. I stagger cleaning L and R every few months.
I just received my 2nd Cascade filter yesterday. So as soon as I get it set up, I'll be running 2 in my 75 gallon. I agree with you about flow.....not to mention massive filtration!
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

so, after a year or so, my sun sun stop working.

I have eheim ecco 2232 in my other tank that I bought over 4 years ago and still running without any problem.

My tank is out of filter for 3 days now and this time, i wont buy anything else but Eheim.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@herns Did yours have any symptoms/breakdown before going completely kaput?
Know exactly what died out?
Know the SunSun model?

As a precaution, I got the 304B over the newer 404B just because I knew the older model, being out longer, had reports of lasting over 4 years. But I haven't heard of any premature deaths of the 404B models, and as far as I know, they motor and impeller are still the same as the 304B, just some added features to the head unit and a grey paintjob.

I've had my SunSun 304B's for over 2 years now. I was late to the whole canister filter party though, but I have heard others that still have their SunSun's working 5+ years and still going.

Not denying your experience, it is very valuable to hear reports, good and bad, just curious is all.

Also when I was researching Eheim canisters, I was finding quite a lot of failure reports on the ECCO canisters. No doubt Eheim canister filters are top notch, but it appears not all of their models do well. Research is always advised before purchasing (I am sure you know, just a reminder to everyone else who may read this).
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Algae Grower

I'm from the other side of the pond so probably not much help, but I use a JBL CristalProfi series canister on my 33g. Comes filled with media (foam pads and ceramic balls), is very quiet and easy to use and clean.

33G community, 12G and 6.6G betta.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I'm from the other side of the pond so probably not much help, but I use a JBL CristalProfi series canister on my 33g. Comes filled with media (foam pads and ceramic balls), is very quiet and easy to use and clean.
They look real nice. Could be a problem finding them in the States. Quick check of Amazon and E-Bay didn't really turn up much.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 AM
Planted Member

I bought my cascade 1000 off amazon, it didnt arrive on time. I contacted amazon hoping to get a month of prime or something, they sent me another one next day and told me to keep the other when it shows up. They both showed up the same day haha. got 2 for price of 1.

They seem to work pretty well. They are both just filled with matrix and floss.

40breeder planted, 2x cascade 1000's, hydor inline heater, finnex planted plus.

Diamond Black Piranha
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
@herns Did yours have any symptoms/breakdown before going completely kaput?
Know exactly what died out?
Know the SunSun model?.
I think its HW-304B. No symptoms. It just went dead. I thought it was only dirt inside impeller. Cleaned everything still doesnt work. I bought this china brand name because of good reviews on Amazon. I have to get back with Eheim. I have mine running for over 4 years now without any issues. Ecco 2234.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode