The Planted Tank Forum banner

75 Gallon Filtration

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  roadmaster 
#1 ·
Hello all, looking to set up my 75 gallon as a planted tank. I currently have an Eheim 2215 canister filter, but I was told in another thread that I should get another filter to supplement it. I originally thought I might just get a larger HOB filter for the tank since they're pretty good at aerating water for fish, but I was also told that the surface agitation isn't very good if I plan to use CO2.

I have no experience with CO2 systems and I'm not sure I'm too interested in figuring it all out just yet, so I think I'm going to try the medium lighting/fluorish excel route and see how that goes. If I use fluorish excel as the CO2 source for my tank, will surface agitation even matter?

So, would you all recommend a second canister filter or a large HOB filter as a supplement? I rather love my Eheim, but it seems a little unnecessary to get another 2215. Could I use a smaller canister? I guess my question is, just how much filtration should I have? Can one have too much? The Eheim 2215 is rated for 92 gallons and I understand they may be a bit overrated, but is that still not enough? What all do you recommend for extra filtration?

#3 ·
I kept a low tech tank with Excel for years. I kept crypts, swords, java ferns, anubias, etc. Whenever I added nice stem plants, they would at best stay alive, and at worst wither and die. Still, it was nice, and growth was slow but steady.

A short time ago I added co2 and EI ferts. All I can say, is that there is no comparison. My stem plants are flourishing, and it's a whole new ball game.

That being said, and back to your primary question, I have always believed that over filtration is best. Back when I had a 70 gallon, I ran two Rena XP3's. Now on my 120, I run the two XP3's, and an XP4 (also serves as CO2 reactor). There are two benefits. First, I believe flow is good for both fish and plants. And surface agitation keeps the tank oxygenated, which the fish will greatly appreciate. I have two spray bars pointing up at the surface, and my surface always has a nice ripple. And even with CO2, a nice strong ripple day and night.

Second, I only clean one filter at a time. Keeps the Bio filtering capacity steady. When you clean a filter too well, then the bio media needs time to grow back. With two filters, not a concern.

Only my two cents, but I don't think you can have too much filtration.

#4 ·
I guess I better ask while I'm on the subject then, are there any canisters that work better for a CO2 system than others? I'm pretty well convinced I'll be getting a second canister anyway, for backup and for cleaning reasons, so if one might work better as a CO2 diffuser (or reactor?) maybe I'll go ahead and look into more of that also.

#5 ·
For a high tech densely planted tank a canister is simply a bucket with media in it who's main job is to provide back up support to the plants in removing nasties. Most concentrate on turnover, usually 5-10x tank turnover per hour. It doesn't really matter what brand you get, as long as it holds a decent amount of media, is quiet, reliable and provides the right level of flow.

Your main focus will be flow BTW - getting the CO2 moving around the tank to avoid deadspots that plants don't like and algae does like. You don't want TOO much flow though as your plants and livestock may not like it very much. Plants should be gently swaying in the current, fish shouldn't have to fight the current too severely.

When you add CO2 reactors and inline heaters, or if you add dense bio media or finer sponges, turnover and flow will decrease. You need to factor this into your decision as well. Flow ratings are only provided by manufacturers for canisters containing no media so consider that the highest possible flow that can be achieved by the unit. If it's advertised flow equates to 5x turnover for your setup, reduce that a little and you may get only 3-4x tank turnover. So better to buy something in the 7-10x turnover range.

If you accidentally buy something that is a little too strong, you can reduce the flow using taps/dense media etc to bring it down a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.