The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help Select Pressurized CO2

564 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  quiquik 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a pressurized CO2 setup. I think I need help selecting the right parts.

I found this 15 lb CO2 tank on craigslist.

Does anyone forsee a problem? Or can I get this tank and move on to selecting the other parts? Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
More often places will swap than simply refill, and 15lbs isn't that common. If you have a place nearby that will refill at a halfway reasonable price, it works. Or, a place that will swap 15lbs. Alternatively, you can buy a 5lb for $65-ish or a 20lb for $120-ish and likely be able to swap them for about as much as it costs to refill. Most places charge little or no more to swap/refill a 20lb than a 5lb, but then other places do.

Other factors: if you want to keep your nice shiny cylinder, you'll want a place that refills. Also, a 20lb will last 4X as long as a 5lb. Also, if you refill rather than swap, you'll have to pay a hydrotest fee of $15 to $50 every five years. Also, a 5lb will fit under a tank, while a 15- or 20lb may not (make sure to add a couple inches for the regulator gauges).

First step is to call around and see what form CO2 is available. Welding supply, gas supply, homebrew, fire supply, beverage supply.

#5 ·
Search co2 supplies in your area first! Find out what brand cylinder that is. In my area it has to be the same brand cylinder in order to swap out. The dealers will not take another brand cylinder even if it is owned or brand new.

If you have a company that fills while you wait which is surprisingly rare aquarium plant dot com has really cheap prices on aluminum tanks up to 50 pounds and will even ship them full. I haven't used this vendor before, but most of the reviews look good.

Another thing to keep in mind is steel tanks are really heavy. My full 50 pounder is well over 200 lb full and my tanks are up 4 flights of stairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.