The Planted Tank Forum banner

Inconspicuous filter for rimless tank?

16K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  traucet 
#1 ·
Starting a 25 gallon rimless cube (18x18x18) which I believe I'll be doing a planted bowl inside. Trying to decide which filter to go with that can be somewhat inconspicuous, but not having any luck besides a corner filter. Any suggestions?

#7 ·
You can also do a sump if you have space, and you can use it to hide other things like heaters, proves and co2 reactors. If standard overflows are to ugly, look for a mame overflow, never seen one in person, but they look like a nice piece of glass work

Also I'm curious about your planted bowl

Lastly if stay away from the Mariana "s" line of filters linked above... I have one and it's very underwhelming... Low flow, limited media space, and a god awful looking pump in the tank

#18 ·
Little small but it will work and it's a decent deal, I've seen better deals but if it meets your criteria and price range I'd jump on it. Also the benefit of the flu val over the sunsun is just how much bypass exists in the sun sun compared to the fluval. Sunsun is great for the price but it's basically a rena xp2 or xp3 with more by pass.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

#19 ·
The Eheims are a great suggestion. I, however, bought the SunSun HW-302 for around $40 or so. It comes with green hose and black intake/spraybar. I used that in my Mr. Aqua rimless for a while. I then installed clear hose and glass lily pipes from GLA. You have stay on top of the cleaning though.

In the filter I have 3 sponges in the bottom tray. Course, medium, and fine. Matrix fills the middle tray. Floss and purigen fills the top tray.

If the glass lily pipes are out of budget you can look a acrylic. The only thing is it scratches easier than glass and the stoppers become discolored overtime.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.