The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help me choose tank dimensions?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Rapture 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: The space I am wanting to place the tank is actually a tad too small for a 36" long tank and stand.

So, the tank I am currently considering is 56 gallons with the following dimenisons: 18"D x 30"W x 24"H.

I know this tank hardly has any length at all compared to the height, does anyone have any positive/negative feelings about it? If it is too limiting as far as lighting and stocking choices, I will probably just choose a less desirable placement for the tank itself in my house that will accommodate a wider tank. Thanks!

------------------------

This will be my first "larger" tank, my other tanks are a Spec V and a Biocube 8. The location in the house that I would like to place the tank is only 36" wide, so I have found these tank/stand combos so far. I was pretty sold on the first one from searching online, but when I was at the store I noticed the second one, which is currently on sale for much less than the first. I am just not sure about the height as far as lighting is concerned - I'd like to have low/medium light without needing CO2. Also would like dimensions that would be helpful for creating interesting scapes.

Any input?

36"W x 18.25"D x 21.88"H
53 gallon

or

36.4"W x 18.4"D x 25"H
65 gallon

See less See more
#2 ·
Similar depth. I'd probably choose the 53 for convenience during water changes.

On the other hand, the 65 will give you extra height for plants to grow nice and tall. It'll allow you to have more of a defined mid-ground area since your background plants have 4 extra inches of space.

Are either of them rimless?

#5 ·
This will be my first "larger" tank, my other tanks are a Spec V and a Biocube 8. The location in the house that I would like to place the tank is only 36" wide, so I have found these tank/stand combos so far. I was pretty sold on the first one from searching online, but when I was at the store I noticed the second one, which is currently on sale for much less than the first. I am just not sure about the height as far as lighting is concerned - I'd like to have low/medium light without needing CO2. Also would like dimensions that would be helpful for creating interesting scapes.

Any input?

36"W x 18.25"D x 21.88"H
53 gallon

or

36.4"W x 18.4"D x 25"H
65 gallon

What is it that limits you to the 36"? I only ask as if you've got to slide the tank between two things and that opening is only 36" then chances are you're not fitting either of those tanks/stands in that space. The stands are likely a bit wider than the tank itself. You might need closer to 38" for either of those tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.