Hooking up a Media Filter Inline to a Canister Filter - The Planted Tank Forum

2Likes
  • 2 Post By roadmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Algae Grower

Hooking up a Media Filter Inline to a Canister Filter

The motor on my AC70 filter that I use to house my chemical media is beginning to fail so I was thinking this could be the time for me to try hooking up an chemical filter module inline to one of my Eheim 2215's for that media to save some electricity.

Would anyone have any advice on whether I should try this? Does it work? Will it overload then Eheim pump? Cause too much back pressure? Etc...

Cheers,
LFM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It should be fine.

Why do you need chemical media?

75 Gallon High Tech
29 Gallon Low Tech (RCS / cory tank)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

It should work fine, in Europe and Asia pre-filters are a lot more common than here in North America. I've got one of these. It will reduce your flow like anything else you place inline.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-P iwagumi , 33g iwagumi cube, 125g high tech, 7g cube, 12g long
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
It should be fine.

Why do you need chemical media?
I use purigen and I like to keep it separate out of my canister filters. I find that the purigen bags get saturated with gunk and reduces flow trough the purigen and for my canister filter as a whole. With my AC I can easily take out the purigen and rinse it out every week. I suppose it would be easiest with the AC but I think the media reactor would still be easier than disonnecting the canister filter all the time to get at the purigen.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
It should work fine, in Europe and Asia pre-filters are a lot more common than here in North America. I've got one of these. It will reduce your flow like anything else you place inline.
Thanxs for the info. I was thinking of connecting it to the return side of the canister filter so the water entering into the reactor will be clean because I hear these media reactors get clogged quite easily.

Does anyone know if there'd be a problem with that? Would it create too much back pressure for the canister filter and cause leaks?

Cheers,
LFM.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No problems with back pressure, etc. No harm to the motor and parts. But it will reduce flow, either on the in or out tubing. No way to avoid that but as long as you are aware, there is no other hazard.
My first look would be to make sure there is really something wrong with the AC filter. Other than impeller and shaft, there is little to go wrong. Sure it's not just needing a good cleaning?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
No problems with back pressure, etc. No harm to the motor and parts. But it will reduce flow, either on the in or out tubing. No way to avoid that but as long as you are aware, there is no other hazard.
My first look would be to make sure there is really something wrong with the AC filter. Other than impeller and shaft, there is little to go wrong. Sure it's not just needing a good cleaning?
Yes I clean it out regularily. Just a few weeks ago when I plugged it back in the motor didn't respond at all. Even after several attempts at tapping the motor and unplugging and plugging back in again it finally started up. Then a couple of weeks ago I came home and found the AC stopped. I unplugged it and plugged it in again and got it going again. It has been working fine for last week or so now.

I know that a new AC motor is cheaper than buying a new media module but the AC does make a racket sometimes so when the AC finally does die I just may make the switch.

Cheers,
LFM.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send me your address, and I can send you a fairly new pump motor and impeller from Aquaclear 70 no charge.
I cracked the filter housing on AC 70 trying to remove the motor to clean the impeller.
I kept the motor/impeller, and threw away the cracked housing.
I have no use for the impeller or motor but kept it just in case I ever decided to get another AC 70.
loach guy and Leeatl like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Without knowing your setup...If you have a cerges CO2 reactor, you could incorporate your purigen into that.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Without knowing what and how you do the cleaning, I still have some question on why the motor would fail. It is only a coil of wire that is buried in an epoxy type material so if the cord is not broken or something really wrong with the impeller, there is very little that can go wrong. It is really easy for algae and grunge to collect around the impeller if we only clean it from the top side.
When cleaning , do you really take the motor loose from the container and take the impeller out to clean down inside the well? If not, I would look at doing that before ditching the filter. You may be totally right and I'm beating a dead horse but those filters are so reliable that I have trouble seeing the motor go bad under normal use.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
LFM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Without knowing what and how you do the cleaning, I still have some question on why the motor would fail. It is only a coil of wire that is buried in an epoxy type material so if the cord is not broken or something really wrong with the impeller, there is very little that can go wrong. It is really easy for algae and grunge to collect around the impeller if we only clean it from the top side.
When cleaning , do you really take the motor loose from the container and take the impeller out to clean down inside the well? If not, I would look at doing that before ditching the filter. You may be totally right and I'm beating a dead horse but those filters are so reliable that I have trouble seeing the motor go bad under normal use.
Yes I do take the motor apart from the filter bousing to clean it on a frequent basis (IE: every 2 or 3 months). I actually took the motor apart to clean the inside and I had to unplug and plug the AC a few times to actually get it going right after I cleaned it out. The cord is fine as well. The impellor is less than a year old and actually the entire filter motor and all is a little over a year old.

I do not have a CO2 set up in my tank.

However it is working without a hitch for over a week now.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Send me your address, and I can send you a fairly new pump motor and impeller from Aquaclear 70 no charge.
I cracked the filter housing on AC 70 trying to remove the motor to clean the impeller.
I kept the motor/impeller, and threw away the cracked housing.
I have no use for the impeller or motor but kept it just in case I ever decided to get another AC 70.
That is very kind of you. I'll definetely keep you in mind if the motor stops working completely and I decide to keep going with the AC because although I think the AC is the perfect setup for my chemical media with its big chamber however I think I'd value the pure silence I'd have with just my Eheims running even more (the AC can rattle and hum a bit sometimes).

Cheers,
LFM.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=LFM;8401314]Yes I do take the motor apart from the filter bousing to clean it on a frequent basis (IE: every 2 or 3 months). I actually took the motor apart to clean the inside and I had to unplug and plug the AC a few times to actually get it going right after I cleaned it out. The cord is fine as well. The impellor is less than a year old and actually the entire filter motor and all is a little over a year old.

Well, that pretty well pegs the cleaning idea. Sounds like you have done all that it should take!
Got to agree with the quiet part. I no longer have any AC filters as they do bother me a bit.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I used the AC filter's for year's and pretty much had the science of keeping them quiet mastered.
Often times the rattling can be the top cover which can be removed or perhaps the plastic piece that rest's on the back glass outside the tank, and attaches to bottom of housing to keep it level becomes lost, or won't hold filter in position level wise, and a piece of mouse pad for computer can be cut with scissor's and wedged in place.
If filter tilt's too far forward or backward's it can affect how impeller rides on the shaft and noise can be result.
Moving the intake tube up or down slightly can help quiet the filter's along with adjusting flow which is neat feature with the AQ's.
When tuned just right,I would have to look to see if there was surface movement in the tank to know if the filter's were running.
Goes without saying ,that cleaner filter/impeller makes less noise than dirty one .
Sand was by far the hardest on the filter's as it is with all of em ,so keeping the intakes up off the substrate a fait bit helps greatly.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Planted Member

I keep AC30's running as a backup for the canisters and I had one of the AC30 act just like yours.

It was frustrating having to hear rattling or having to give it a kick start with my finger.

Nothing I did would fix it until one day after removing the filter and messing around, I found that one of my little nerite snails had crawled down into the chamber where the impeller spins.

Removed the empty shell and viola!

“I wear a ten-gallon cowboy hat. That’s where I keep my fish tank."
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigXor View Post
I keep AC30's running as a backup for the canisters and I had one of the AC30 act just like yours.

It was frustrating having to hear rattling or having to give it a kick start with my finger.

Nothing I did would fix it until one day after removing the filter and messing around, I found that one of my little nerite snails had crawled down into the chamber where the impeller spins.

Removed the empty shell and viola!
This is the sort of thing that I find when having a problem with any filter starting. It does take a really good clear look to see the problem. It can be something as simple as a bristle or two off the cleaning brush that gets wrapped around the shaft and only jams when placed just right. I learned to do some basic testing to find what was wrong. Pulling the impeller out and sticking something metal down into the well will show if the electro-mag coil is getting power. Sometimes the problem can be as simple as a worn out wall receptacle that is not always making connections. Wires can be broken inside the insulation so that they work at times but not others.
I never found a coil that was open inside the epoxy or a magnet that lost it's pull so I'm always very slow to accept that the "motor" has gone bad. The motor itself only has three parts and we can look at two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode