The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluorescent Light Fixture Flickers

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ddtran46 
#1 ·
I just purchased 3 separate light fixtures from Catalina Aquarium. They are Fluorescent fixtures that can hold T8, T10 or T12 bulbs. 2 fixtures have T8 bulbs and one has a T12 bulb. Everytime I move the fixture the bulb goes off. I have to carefully turn the bulb to get it to light again and you can hear and see it trying to catch the electricity (does that make sense). It happens with the T8 as well as the T12. This is my first fluorescent fixture so I'm not sure if this is a "normal" annoyance with these fixtures or is there something wrong with all 3 fixtures.

#2 ·
Sounds like the bulbs are not tight in the pin connectors. I have one (of 3) Current fixture that does this but it is the oldest and has damaged bulb clips. On new fixtures IMO it would be an issue. Call tech support if a ready cure doesn't surface through the forums.
Best of luck

#3 ·
Thanks for the info wkndracer! I'll call them tomorrow to see if they can help me out. There were no instructions with the fixtures so I don't know if I did something wrong. I can tell that the bulbs are not in tightly though, they sort of wiggle around. I tried to see if I could move them so that I could secure them, but that didn't seem to work. I haven't said anything to hubby, but I'll have him take a look at them. He may not be interested in my fish tank, but I'm sure he'll get interested when he hears the words "electricity" and "tank full of water" used in the same sentence.

#4 ·
When you install a T12 or T8 tube in a typical fixture you have to twist the bulb 90 degrees to rotate it into position, or it can actually drop back out. Are you doing that? The bulb kind of clicks into place when you do that. It can be tricky to get some bulbs to install right, but it can be done.

#5 ·
Thanks Hoppy. I did rotate each bulb but I guess if you twist it just a tiny bit too much it seems to pop out again. Anyway, I sat down on the floor with each fixture and I carefully rotated it until it felt go tightly into place, then I left it alone. I seem to be okay with 2 fixtures but one still keeps going out. I'll give Catalina a call today. They should include instructions for us noobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.