The Planted Tank Forum banner

Best Glass/Ceramic Diffuser for a 20 Long?

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  waterfaller1 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
From what I have read misting of CO2 is a good way to go. You can do this with a needle wheel pump which is pricey or you can make a mister with a hagen mini elite pump with a little modification. That is what I am going to try when I get around to it, I already have the parts. the hagen pump is really inexpensive and the mod is about $3.

2nd post
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/87651-diffuser-reactor-needle-wheel.html

#7 ·
oh one more thing. I was advised about that glass diffuser you are using.... You can put it right under the intake of your Eheim and the bubbles will go in the filter and get chopped up that way so you dont reduce flow on your filter and still get the CO2 distributed that way.

#8 ·
A lot of the uk guys myself used to inject co2 in this manner but many of us have since stopped as we were getting filters full of co2 and inconsistent diffusion rates as well as filter burping/stalling and as a result ran into algae issues.

The inline diffuser I just posted is exactly the same as the cal aqua ones in principle except plastic and cheap. And they work best on the out line not the inline.

#12 ·
Odd, I clean mine once a week with neat bleach and I get diffusion from the whole disk, I would suggest that it's the cheaper nature of the ceramic disk that it becomes luck of the draw if you get a good one of not. I think as long as they're looked after and you're lucky to get a better one you should be fine, I wouldn't worry that it's only using half the disk though, almost all diffusers do this, even the revered ada ones.

#16 ·
Some people use Tilex to clean the ceramic discs.

I wish that you could use another electrical device. I have a spare Iwaki MD-10 pump that you could plumb CO2 to it and use it as is or even modify it to form something like a needle wheel or do a mesh wheel mod. It has 1/2" connections just like your 2215. At a 2 foot head, it pumps ~ 150 gph and your 2215 has a 164 gph rating. That's a close match.

#17 ·
I have used tilex too. Orlando thinks the problem is you can't get under the disc, and that stuff gets in the underside of it. I am not so sure that's the problem, though I'm not certain. I submerge the diffuser, and the rinsing process is very extensive. So...you think I am smart enough to figure out these mods you mention?:icon_lol: Thanks for the compliment..:hihi:

#18 ·
#19 ·
The inline diffuser I just posted is exactly the same as the cal aqua ones in principle except plastic and cheap. And they work best on the out line not the inline.
I have been using one on my 38G as well and I like it.

As far as ceramic disk diffusers, I know people will start hollering and yelling, but nothing beats the ADA diffusers. Seems like the bubbles are a lot smaller as well as consistant around the body of the sintered glass disk. I soak mone in bleach and it cleans up in a breeze.

I have used a Rhinox and while it did work, I found the bubbles to be bigger and pretty much centered in on the disk. The stem of the Rhinox seemed a little more fragile as well. I prefered the ADA, but that is just me.

The little diffusion/misting method mentioned by belladee works like an absolute charm! I suggest looking into that as well.

#20 ·
I know people will start hollering and yelling, but nothing beats the ADA diffusers. Seems like the bubbles are a lot smaller as well as consistant around the body of the sintered glass disk. I soak mone in bleach and it cleans up in a breeze.
That's what I am looking for..thank you. And thanks for all the different suggestions everyone. It seems every time I try a new method though, I am not happy with the results. The tank has good circular flow and motion, as long as I keep an eye on the filter. I keep the plants cut out of the back, so the water flows in a good pattern. All I need is a small diffuser that gives me a fine mist.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.