The Planted Tank Forum banner

injecting co2 in the intake of a Fluvual 405?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  zavikan 
#1 ·
Any have experience doing this? Any problems, suggestion?
I'm assuming the canister will act as a reactor? I have a choice co2 system on order from Green Leaf and i'm trying to save some money by not buying a diffuser.

#8 ·
I didn't have such good luck with this method. Works best if you can get away with a low bubble count otherwise you end up with too much gas building up in the canister. No harm in giving it a shot though since it works well for some people. Below is a link to a reducing T that you can splice into the intake tube. Make sure you get the right size for the hose you are using and hose clamps to prevent leaking.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=AQ9113&child=AQ9115

#14 ·
I don't think the carbonic acid is corrosive to the plastic, however, we are only talking relatively short term usage (1-2 years). I suppose the effects would be more pronounced with prolonged usage.

I have, however, found that standard airline tubing as well as plastic check valves get brittle after awhile.

#16 ·
As the tubing for the intake to the canister is basicly vertical, and the flow is down (from the aquarium). I have wondered what would happen if you simply use the intake tubing as a reactor. Saving the canister any issues.

Try it for me :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.