Trickle Filters - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfire99 View Post
PEX seems like good stuff. I bought a 100' roll of 1/2" today for another project. I opted for compression fittings rather than buy the crimper. I've gotten as far as hooking it up to a garden hose to check the compression fittings for leaks, and am pretty impressed.

Ain't it the truth?
Great minds and all that.

Looked at a Youtube video of coupling disengagement, looks simple enough.
Almost like the fittings on my R O unit.

The Fraternity of Dirt
If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Filter Final Design (rev 1)

I was able to use one piece of original glass recut beyond the tower assembly.
Picked up my glass order yesterday and "note to self, tanks are built by humans and are not square measure twice" . 1/32 to 1/16 glass removal using the Fred Flintstone method (wet stone) takes a lot of time. Only the large tower divider plate fit without sizing.
They also drilled the hole in the cover in the wrong place so picking up a new plate Monday. Covers are clear glass, dividers are gray tinted matching the tank.
Once again tape indicates flooded level and flow path. HOPE IT WORKS.

The Fraternity of Dirt
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Moving right along aren't you. Looking good!! Did you decide to keep the sump fully covered? Have you read that CO2 offgassing would be a problem on an open sump? I'm not too concerned as I plan to mist my display tank, and have very little surface agitation in the sump.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

sump pump sizing

Help and opinions welcome.
Trying to calculate pump size.

Based feet of head pressure on Reef site articles related to flow and plumbing.

The Fraternity of Dirt

Last edited by wkndracer; 04-25-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: title
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sump setup

Doors are off the cabinet. The sump has a 2 piece top made of 1/4" clear glass.
15" drilled for inlet bulkhead pipes, 16" plate for removable cover. Adding the small tower I've built CO2 loss back into the filter system. If it's too great the razor will remove a tower plate.

Shows dividers w/o media baskets

only one inlet bulkhead in place

The Fraternity of Dirt
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Help and opinions welcome.
Trying to calculate pump size.

Based feet of head pressure on Reef site articles related to flow and plumbing.
I envy all the space you have in that stand. I've had pretty good luck using the head calculator at Reef Central. The UV and reactor cylinders should add no more head pressure than a union or ball valve, and since you are splitting the returns, I don't think the 1/2" bulkhead restrictions will hurt you. Using the Little Giant pump you mentioned, I think you'll be north of 600 gallons per hour with this setup. It looks like you've done your homework though. When in doubt I like to error on too much pump, you can always ball valve it down a bit. Did you give any thought to taking the UV out of the return line to slow down the flow, and allow more contact time or is it high enough watts to handle the flow rate?

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How big is this tank? I don't think there's any need for a trickle filter on a fully planted tank, you should utilize it for some big honking fish instead! That looks like an awful lot of fun building time for it to be for nothing.
post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cabinet set up

I think all that space is going to evaporate pretty quick with the pump, 10lb CO2 cylinder, UV unit and CO2 reactor in the cabinet.
My thought on the plumbing was actually to split flow twice. Come off the pump into both the reactor and UV unit with the 15watt Aqua UV valved to force primary flow through the reactor. One thing the cabinet will have room for I haven't had before is a flow meter. Also I can put a wheeled gauge glass on the UV discharge.
Monday I'm back to work and will through this in front of one of the boiler engineers on site. With split inlet flow restricted on the UV unit side can I go back to common pipe on both discharges? If so then it splits again in common flow to the tank returns.

I'm a little bummed you came to the same answer I did on the pump actually because 600 is twice the needed flow. Unless I go to a HP pump I can't get the necessary head. I would have been happier if I could have found a pump in the 400 - 500gph range and valved back to 300 or 350gph.

No matter how I add things up it's got to be minimum rated at least 17' on discharge.

The Fraternity of Dirt
post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
How big is this tank? I don't think there's any need for a trickle filter on a fully planted tank, you should utilize it for some big honking fish instead! That looks like an awful lot of fun building time for it to be for nothing.
The trickle tower is cut down to 8" at the end of the sump. Opinions vary on the need, about 60/40. CO2 loss versus nitrate production. The dry tower area is about 16 X 8" total. Display tank is 110g w/ approx. 15g wet in the sump tank.

The Fraternity of Dirt
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I think all that space is going to evaporate pretty quick with the pump, 10lb CO2 cylinder, UV unit and CO2 reactor in the cabinet.
My thought on the plumbing was actually to split flow twice. Come off the pump into both the reactor and UV unit with the 15watt Aqua UV valved to force primary flow through the reactor. One thing the cabinet will have room for I haven't had before is a flow meter. Also I can put a wheeled gauge glass on the UV discharge.
Monday I'm back to work and will through this in front of one of the boiler engineers on site. With split inlet flow restricted on the UV unit side can I go back to common pipe on both discharges? If so then it splits again in common flow to the tank returns.

I'm a little bummed you came to the same answer I did on the pump actually because 600 is twice the needed flow. Unless I go to a HP pump I can't get the necessary head. I would have been happier if I could have found a pump in the 400 - 500gph range and valved back to 300 or 350gph.

No matter how I add things up it's got to be minimum rated at least 17' on discharge.
I know the space will get eaten up quickly. I wouldn't see a problem going back to common return after the UV/Reactor. I don't think it has a huge impact on head pressure, but I'm not 100% sure. You know on the pump, you could run a pair of Mag 7's or something in that range, and control them seperately if needed. I've had really good luck with the Danner Mag drives, especially for the price. They are a little hot, but I run most of them submerged as they aren't as reliable externally as other pumps I've used or read about. You could always use a submerged pump with the setup you have. The other big advantage I found with running any pump submerged is noise suppression.

Quote:
There are definitely 2 schools of thought on wet/dry filters, but I believe there are potential advantages. Can you explain why you think it is for nothing? Barring major problems with outgassing, there is certainly no harm, and the added nitrate production capacity might come in useful.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Pondering the pump

Yeah, I looked at all the different options for pumps. Quiet was on the list.
#1 Concern here for me in the summer which is 10 1/2 months a year.
Florida may be flat but but we have one hellva riding season Is heat transfer. Just the lights on the 75g tanks with the glass covers and it easily climbs to 82F even with the A/C. Those heaters only kick on at water changes and New Years. External pumps won't transfer as bad.

As far as the reactor / UV unit tie in my concern is all things being equal water is funny about flow path. Longer pipe run and slightly restricted the sterilizer path will be subject to stall. Having a wheel window I can monitor it.

Here I sit with my little fish tank, looking at with the sump in the stand right under it. Total head is amazing to me on this project. 19.5' in 4.5' actual. My work is on nothing but flow systems nearly everyday. 1000F and 2350 - 2500psi is main steam off the boiler. Every pump in the plant is either based on it or fighting against it. But what I do is repair or replace a small piece here or there somebody else figured it all out. Small is a relative comment by the way each roll wheel grinding element in our coal pulverizers (got 6 to a unit) weighs 11 tons.

The Fraternity of Dirt

Last edited by wkndracer; 09-02-2009 at 04:28 PM.
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Opinions vary on the need, about 60/40. CO2 loss versus nitrate production.
But I don't understand why there's a concern for nitrate reduction in a planted tank, it's redundant. You're going to be adding KNO3, no?
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
But I don't understand why there's a concern for nitrate reduction in a planted tank, it's redundant. You're going to be adding KNO3, no?
tower bacteria produces nitrates

The Fraternity of Dirt
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, I guess I was stuck in a reefing mindset there. Yes, I understand that nitrobacter produce nitrates, but they can only produce as much as the ammonia offered to them amounts to. This is why I asked if you were planning on any huge fish, because any normal stocking, especially in a 100+gl tank will be covered by bacteria present in normal filtration, plants and substrate. Unless there's some new science in the hobby where trickle filters actually produce nitrate out of nothing then I am completely lost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode