75g without center brace? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

75g without center brace?

So I was lucky enough to get a old 75g tank for free. I am in the middle of resealing it and want to know if it supposed to have a center brace. The PO said it never had one before. Its made with 3/8" thick glass and is your standard 4ft 75g.

RAOK Club Member #151
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:27 AM
Algae Grower

I have heard of people using tanks that large without them, some come with them and some don't, others break off and it is really hard to tell. If you feel a little uncertain you can make a really simple brace with scrap pieces of metal or wood. For one of my large bow fronts I screwed together three pieces of 2x4s, one long piece that sits on top, back to front and 2 shorter pieces that hang over the edge with the tank in between them nice and snug.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am debating on using a brace that I took off my 120g, it is 1/8" too long tho. Not that that would really throw anything off that much.

RAOK Club Member #151
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your 75 G

Hello Tank...

The tank is still useful, but without the center brace, I wouldn't fill it to the top, this would be risky at best. You can certainly fill it half full and emerse the roots of land plants and combine hardy floating plants. I have tanks like this and use florescent lighting from the local hardware store.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankFreak420 View Post
So I was lucky enough to get a old 75g tank for free. I am in the middle of resealing it and want to know if it supposed to have a center brace. The PO said it never had one before. Its made with 3/8" thick glass and is your standard 4ft 75g.
I would silicone in a custom cut piece of glass.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's easy enough to figure out if it was made with a brace by just examining the middle of the front and back sections of the tank's trim. I owned a 125G that was made without a centerbrace, so if the tank is VERY old, some were made that way. But if this is one-piece trim, it was most likely removed.

In a nutshell, newer tanks over 36" long are made with one-piece top trim that also includes a center brace. They were made that way for a reason. Removing the brace makes anything that happens structurally, entirely of your making.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
I would silicone in a custom cut piece of glass.
That is also what I would recommend. And have in other posts.

Funny thing about the old tanks. I've got 3 55 Metaframes and as thick as the glass is and with the stainless for bracing they also have a center brace. It is a stainless channel about 2-3" wide center brace held in with stainless screws.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
It's easy enough to figure out if it was made with a brace by just examining the middle of the front and back sections of the tank's trim. I owned a 125G that was made without a centerbrace, so if the tank is VERY old, some were made that way. But if this is one-piece trim, it was most likely removed.
Both trims are 4 peace if that tells you anything, And I see no signs that there was a peace of glass in the center before. Trims where not cut, nor was there silicone residue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Funny thing about the old tanks. I've got 3 55 Metaframes and as thick as the glass is and with the stainless for bracing they also have a center brace. It is a stainless channel about 2-3" wide center brace held in with stainless screws.
I thought it was funny that this old 55g I picked up has a huge center brace but is also made with 1/2" glass. Then there is this 75g that apparently never had one lol.

RAOK Club Member #151
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you can't tell whether there was a brace, or never was? Should be easy enough to figure out with close inspection.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankFreak420 View Post
Both trims are 4 peace if that tells you anything, And I see no signs that there was a peace of glass in the center before. Trims where not cut, nor was there silicone residue.
That tells me a lot. I wish I knew who the manufacturer was, but that 125G I referred to above was made with 4 mitered sections of top trim. Made with 1/2" glass and was heavier than my 180G Oceanic.

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
That tells me a lot. I wish I knew who the manufacturer was, but that 125G I referred to above was made with 4 mitered sections of top trim. Made with 1/2" glass and was heavier than my 180G Oceanic.

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.
My 120g was the same way, I broke the trim on that and had to so rimless tho lol. This 55g also has the 4 peace mitered trims, I thought these where the Oceanics lol.

RAOK Club Member #151
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

If the glass is only 3/8" thick then it likely was intended to have a center brace. I believe for a tank that large to not have a center brace it should be at least 1/2" thick glass. Can you post any pictures of what you've got?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 17 tanks(72 bowfront, 2x55's, 2x29's, 2x20 highs, 20 long, 30 long, 38, 7x10's) many of which are planted; and a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank at work along with a few empty tanks here and there to be set up eventually!.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

So far what I have read tells me that you should put on a center brace just as a precaution, even if it wasn't designed with one. Better safe then sorry. The glass and silicon sounds like an easy route, or you could just cut your spare 120 brace to fit your 75.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namicat101 View Post
So far what I have read tells me that you should put on a center brace just as a precaution, even if it wasn't designed with one. Better safe then sorry. The glass and silicon sounds like an easy route, or you could just cut your spare 120 brace to fit your 75.
I have no way to cut a 8th on an inch off 1/2" glass... But I doubt it will hurt anything if I use it as is.

RAOK Club Member #151
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a 55 gallon with 3/8" glass for years that somebody hat cut the center brace out of. It bowed a little over 1/16" at the middle which isn't great but didn't prove to be a problem. I definitely wouldn't risk it with a 75 gallon though and knowing what I know now I wouldn't use the same 55 gallon tank without a center brace. I've always liked this idea and I'd probably use one of these, courtesy of PlantedRich.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode