Suitable filter for my 25L aqaurium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Suitable filter for my 25L aqaurium

Hey people,

Currently got a small submersible filter for my little 25L tank, and it's fine, but it's just a bit flimsy, I want a nice solid, durable filter.

I want a filter that isn't too big but has a good open space to house ceramic rings and a mechanical sponge, I also want it to have a nice flow rate for my WCMM.

Few questions;

Would a canister filter be too much overkill? If so, it will have to be a subversive one, but I don't want it too big. I don't want to get a filter that's too powerful and will ruin my tank.

I know it's only a small 25L tank and i'm being a bit picky but I like to do things right.

I like the popular branded filters, and I really want a filter that will really clean out my water with power, this one looks good (Fluval Mini) but maybe too small and not enough flow rate?

Fluval Mini Underwater Filter 200LPH: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies Fluval Mini Underwater Filter 200LPH: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Maybe something like the above but slightly larger?

And the next one up (Fluval U1) looks like it would be far too big in my tank? I need all the room I can get, hence I thought about the canister filter, may be too loud and too much overkill though.

Fluval U1 Underwater Filter 250LPH: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies Fluval U1 Underwater Filter 250LPH: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Last edited by Khunter06; 04-11-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: not clear enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Algae Grower

Get an external for a little bit more. Eheim classic 2213 or 2215. I use a 2215 on my 20 litre
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thats huge!? surely I wouldn't need one that big.

Bump: my tank is only a 25L btw.

Bump: What LPH would I need? about 300 max?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

I would get a 2215 on a 25L. Always better to over filter than underfilter. on my 90L I have a 2217 which is also way overkill but I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khunter06 View Post
Thats huge!? surely I wouldn't need one that big.

Bump: my tank is only a 25L btw.

Bump: What LPH would I need? about 300 max?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can always use a ball valve on the return side of a canister filter to slow it down. It's always better to go too big, than too little.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

25l is a bit over 6.5 US gallons . I have an Eheim 2211 running throttled down some on a 30l and it's running fine for the last 9 months or so , though I'm probably going to put a small HOB on the tank when I move it shortly. Consider : Eheim 2211 flows around 300l/hr , or a bit over 10X water change/hour . The next one up (2213) is 440l/hr , one up from there (2215) is 620l/hr . Do you REALLY need that kind of flow in what's really just a tiny tank?

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products...rs/classic-250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode