The Planted Tank Forum banner

Eheim Classic or Eheim Ecco

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sykogngsta 
#1 ·
I need a canister filter for my new 20 long and I have decided to go with an Eheim. I am not sure however which kind to get a classic 2213 or an ecco 2232. I can get the ecco at petsmart for $130, but I would have to order the classic online for $70.

Which filter should I go with, the classic or the ecco? Is it worth the extra money to get an ecco or should I just go with the classic? What is different in the ecco that makes it more expensive? The classic is rated for 66 gal and the ecco is rated for only 35 gal.

#2 ·
I have one of each. I like the classic, but the ecco is really easy to get started if the hoses have air in them. With the others, it can be a pain in the ass to get the air out of the hoses if you don't turn off the valves. If I had to pick either one it would be a tough decision. I think that my ecco may be too small for my 29 gal but I need to clean the hoses out of gunk first before I make that decision. The buildup of algae and stuff in the hoses can significantly slow the outflow down. You can get the ecco 2232 at Big Al's for $100. http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealin...ype=0&path=&offset=&hits=&sortby=&query=eheim

#3 ·
Ignore the filter ratings, those are for unplanted fish tanks in terms of biological filtration.

Neither of those filters will be satisfying on a 20L, in my opinion. Go 2215 for the classic or 2236 for ecco. The eccos are very convenient to operate, but in my opinion are lacking in flow rate. I also have both, I prefer the ecco for maintenance, but the classic for shear power.

#5 ·
Bingo, the Ecco's have generous amounts of room for bio-media but the flow rate is lacking. I would not suggest a 2236 for anything bigger than a 20 gallon, just because of the flowrate imho.

I even have a 2236 on a 10gal, and it doesnt overpower that tank, but the outflow is pointed a bit at the front corner of the tank and still provides a nice circular flow pattern.

#7 ·
Ok so from what everyone has said so far I have gotten the idea that:

Classics have more flow and power
and
Eccos are easier to set up/ maintain

The eccos are also quite a bit more expensive. Is paying the extra money worth it at all for the ease of maintenance?

Oh and I will get a 2215 or 2236 then since they have more flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.