How to seal a drilled plex aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
How to seal a drilled plex aquarium?

I drilled two 1.5 inch holes in each corner of my 100 gallon acrylic tank to accept the bulkhead fittings. I am now choosing to not use them and the sump and want to go with a canister filter (long story) instead.

What would be the best method to seal the bulkhead cutouts? I could either install the bulkheads and cap them from the back or....should I go to a plex shop and install (weld) a small round or square piece on both sides to cover the holes?

I have a nice 3d background so either way it will not be visible, I just want the best leakproof solution.

Simon said
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 AM
Planted Member
You could just hook up the canister filter intake/return through the holes.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
I needed to close a hole used for SW wave circulation, and capped a bulkhead. It has never leaked. But I consider it an eyesore (but you said you have a solution for that). I suppose if the tank is ever used again for reef the bulkhead will come in handy again - and for you the tank can be used for a future sump if you use capped bulkheads.
I have no experience with welded acrylic to compare options.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru
I'd suggest capping them also.

It just gives you options down the road, and with an acrylic of that size it becomes a selling point with the SW crowd if you ever choose to sell it.

It actually becomes less "leak-possible" without the plumbing dangling from the bulkheads, so I wouldn't sweat over the the possibility of a leak.

If you really want to cap them, a simple square of acrylic from one of the box stores that's 1" bigger in diameter can easily be crazy glued (Gel) in place. You really don't need Weld-On for this.

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Cap the bulkheads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode