EHEIM professionel 3e - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
EHEIM professionel 3e

I have used plenty of classic eheim canisters but recently started looking at the proe 700. Do any of you have one? If you do what is your opinion of them?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
I don't currently have one but did pass one through.
While the basic filter is very good will all the standard Eheim features, I would not personally want the electronics involved with the E'3. Unless there is some real driving need for some of those features, I like simple machines as they tend to have less breakdown.

I do now use a 2075 which is much the same filter but without the electronics and it is my favorite filter, being a step up from the classics. Things I like are the baskets, the pad at the top which can be cleaned without doing a whole filter clean and the cutoff system is much improved.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Ya the electronics part kinda got to my geek side.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Yes, the geek factor would be pleased. however, that was beaten out of me when I looked at it long term. I fell into using the filter because the former owner gave up and decided it was broken. That is where my hard headed "fix it or find out why" came into play! Geek factor or no, things have to have a reason for not working. the reason in this case was the programming combined with a small flow problem. When the flow got restricted, the programming confused the issue enough that it took some time and refusing to quit before I figured it out. The former owner lost a sizable chunk of bills because the unit was too confusing.
I moved it on down the line because I want to be able to fix a small problem without lots more confusion from bells and whistles that I don't use. I've forgotten many of the features but i do remember that I skipped them while programming as being silly.
Getting the flow from the filter right for daytime is something of a challenge to arrange so that debris is moved the way I want. Adding in a different flow rate at night is not for me!
Just my thoughts and certainly may not be what you feel. A good filter can almost always be sold off at some loss of value.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower
The only feature that was of use for me was that you can set the pump rate and the filter maintains that as the filter clogs. It also alerts you once it has capped out so you know when it is time to clean the filter. Again with all the extra electronics there are more things that may go wrong with these models but I never had a problem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower
I don't find the E version to be worth it. Just clean your traditional canister regularly and don't worry about the electronics shutting the thing down for no reason!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode