The Planted Tank Forum banner

Splitting co2 regulator to 2 tanks.

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Green Leaf Aquariums 
#1 ·
well i already bought me a used co2 regulator , and now i want to use it for two of my tanks. Was told i need a manifold. Just wondering which way i should go in order for me to use what i already have. What else do i need besides the manifold? Both tanks will be in the same stand, one 38G and 5.5g for the other. All help are much appreciated.

#2 ·
You'll need a manifold and separate needle valves and bubble counters for each line. To attach the manifold to the regulator, you'll need to remove the old needle valve and bubble counter and use some 10-32 fittings.

I recommend you upgrade to better needle valves for the two CO2 lines going to your tank.

#6 ·
I have a 50ft line ducking and weaving across my apartment to my other tank. You can pretty much run any distance, you just have to increase the pressure and possibly change the location of the needle valve.

For me, both needle valves are under Tank A, and then one line runs to tank A, and the other runs 50 ft to tank B.

If you place the flow restrictor(needle valve) at the end of line B, you can pretty much run the second line as long as you need it(not across the neighborhood or anything, but to another room).

#5 ·
i remember orlando telling me to keep both lenghts of tubbing and diffusing method the same on each line. if there is more resistance on one end then the pressure wont make it all the way and just go towards whatever is easiest to exit. how far are you talking about running the line torpedobarb?

#7 ·
I had my second tank about 40 feet away at one time before. I used a real good Clippard URH1-0804 hose. It worked great. I don't know if I lost any c02 in that length of hose or not but by the bubble rate, it seemed to work just fine. Had good c02 in both tanks, a 29 and a 10 gallon with two needle valves.
Joe

#9 ·
Where was the needle valve for the distant tank? On the regulator or by the tank?

I have 2 needle valves on my regulator with one hose running into another room (probably 20'). I am having troubles with consistent bubble rates and Orlando suggested I increase the working pressure and move the needle valve for the "distant" tank right near the source of diffusion. I'll be making the switch in the next few days and update how things go.

#11 ·
I had mine set up about 2 years ago and can't really remember. But I think it is better if you put your needle valve close to your tank like Orlando suggested. I also used a LPR (low pressure regulator) made by Clippard. I think I had this at the regulator and the needle valve at the tank. Rex Grigg designed and sold me my system. He would probably be the best experienced person to ask but Orlando I think is right.
Joe

#12 ·
Manifolds work great attached to the regulator when your tanks are not 50 feet apart.
Most folks don't have long runs like this. SO a standard manifold on the regulator works great.
When you get into 30 feet of tubing is when you run into issues.

This is an example of a remote manifold I built last year for a 42' line for 2 tanks. Its still working great today....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.