The Planted Tank Forum banner

More starter tank questions. Thoughts needed.

711 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Complexity 
#1 ·
A bit of background:

I had my heart set on an ADA tank. I've mulling it over and I think I'm going to rule that out, too much money and they dont offer hood/lid kit. I can't have that in my home. I have a cat and wife won't let me lock hom out.

I've had tank in the past, I tried one planted and I failed miserably. I've moving around a lot that last 5 years and finally settled down, unless I lose my job because of the economy. I'm desperate to get back into the hobby regardless.

With all that said, I need input on my tank setup and size. I've been reading and thinking a 40 gallon breeder may be the way to go. I'm worried that I may be getting in over my head with that size of a tank. Should I start with a smaller tank or should just get the larger tank from the begining? Any suggestion on the approach? Should I go for a smaller tank and move slowly or dive in with the 40 gallon breeder?

Should I go for glass or acryilic? Is there another tank maker other than ADA that offers quality setups, ie, tank, hood, lighting and stand? The generic stuff at the LFS looks so cheap in comparison. I'm ready to buy the tank and stand so I can start other phases of planning. I feel the tank and stand are to one choice I can't mess up on or I'll be unhappy. Also, does anyone use a canopy with their planted tank?

With all the experience here, I really need the help. Btw, I live in Gilbert, AZ so if anyone knows a store I should go to for the tank, or other things down the road let me know.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I prefer glass over acrylic because you can scrub it clean without a bunch of scratches.

As far as size, I honestly think the larger the tank, the better — up to a point. I have a 75g and have upgraded my 29g to match. I'm finding it much harder to work in such a small amount of space. You have to keep the wood small, the rocks need to be scaled down, and then there's not much room for a wide assortment of plants.

I also found it harder to squeeze everything into a smaller cabinet. I didn't realize how much room I had in my 75g cabinet until I started putting the same stuff, albeit smaller, in the 29g cabinet. It's a very tight fit, but it's in. With my 75g, I have extra room to spare!

Water conditions are much easier to control with a larger mass of water. Small amounts of water can change rapidly when something happens while a larger body of water takes longer. That makes things safer overall.

I opted for the 75g tank because I liked the dimensions. It's 18" wide so I actually have room for plants, wood and rocks. The 48" length makes good use of showing everything off. And the height isn't too tall to work with like it is with the 90g tank.

I think you should just get what you like. If you see someone else's tank that you really love, then consider getting a tank of the same size. Consider what you want to put in it and see if there's enough room for what you want. If the 40g breeder is what feels good to you, then get it. Just don't be afraid of larger tanks. The larger ones are actually easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.