The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 reactor

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kid creole 
#1 ·
OK. So I have been doing saltwater reef aquarium for sometime now so, I have lots of equipment. Since setting up the 65 gallon AGA aquarium I want to use as a planted tank, I have put in inert aquarium gravel, 3 inches thick, installed a fluval 304 filter and hung a MH/VHO lighting fixture over the tank.

As of this moment, the fixture has one 250watt XM 10K metal halide bulb and two actinic VHO which I will be switching out to 10K white. Will this lighting be sufficient for all plants?

I have a 5lb CO2 bottle with a milwaukee regulator that contains a solenoid and bubble counter. After studying the pix of DIY co2 reactors, I built mine out of a phosban reactor(http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=TL4311). I have a rio 800 in the tank feeding the reactor. Using a check valve, I am feeding co2 directly into the pumps intake. Water and co2 enters the reactor and travels to the bottom of reactor. The co2 and water is then forced thur ceremic media and sponges and then reenters the tank. Do anyone see any problems with this setup? I have it set to come on with the lights.

I will be buying test kits, additives and a few plants today. Do you all have any suggestions to this setup? I opted against other substrates due to cost. I had most of this equipment already and presently maintaining a 300 gallon cube mixed reef (http://s369.photobucket.com/albums/oo139/turtleman9100/).

I will be uploading pix of the 65 gallon tank and equipment soon.

Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Run the lights for less than 10 hours, say 8-9. Can you put the mh on a separate timer from the vho's? I'd do that and only run the mh for a short midday period. I think you're ok with the reactor. Get some dry ferts and some measuring spoons. Read as much as you can here on the forum.

#4 ·
There is really no need to run it when lights are off. Unless you want to waste CO2 and stress your fish. Trust me on this. I learned it here and proved it to myself on my own tank. I agree it is a lot of light-use timers, shorter photo period and raise it up to control the intensity. Whatever combination works.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.